News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Question About Hungarian Communist Era Trifold Ribbons

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

UNFORTUNATELY, I will die of old age before this thread finishes processing the overwhelming mass of attached scans

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showforum=172

and I have NEVER been able to outwait it, so forgive me if this has been mentioned in there BUT:

does the white on original period trifolds glow bright electric blue under a blacklight?

That is generally the Kiss Of Death for most cloth, and I have never observed it in anything from the Soviet Union.

But I wouldn't think anything this lowly (and damaged-- bottom of the wreath held in by some sort of petrified glue repair that looks like a sun rising/setting) would be worth the effort of producing replacement ribbons currently-- would it?

As for ribbons the originality I would suspect that its a 1970's version. In my cabinet I just ran the black light over all of the ones on display and only a couple of the 1970's awards glowed. That being said there is a huge market for the ribbons here and it would not surprise me none that they have started making replacement ribbons.

As for being lowly that is a $50 medal now-a-days....

No - I would not toss it out as these things were still worn by the 'Old Guard' as this run of medals was not tossed to the side - though after 1956 it was not awarded, but could still be worn on the medal bar. From the fading - its been exposed to sunlight for a little while so its proable that this was worn by an old Workers Militia member on parade day a few times or - of course it could have sat in the window of an antique shop for several months. Hard to say. Do you happen to have a box for it?

Edited by hunyadi