News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Letter Amer. Rev.

Bear

Hello,

A thanks to Jerome(Djedj) for the translation of the letter. :beer:

This letter is by a French ship Capt. on Sainte-Dominigue(Haiti) of his present situation dated November 26, 1777.

Capt. Francais the 26 November 1777

Messiers,

I had the honor of recieving your letter on the 15th of August that bears note of my balance of the remittances you've sent me at 5867. And the reasons that have prevented you from approbating and submitting yourself to the project of sending me money. I am charmed that this has not taken place. I recieved your letter on the 25th of last month, at which date the embargo wa declared in our port, I have only _ _ _ _ on the 23rd of this month, during all this time it has not been sold for 200 _ _ _ _ of _ _ _ _ and not for 200 Livres of other goods. I have not bought one pistol. I was hoping to buy at low price half of the cargo of my ship. I have only been able to buy 32 _ _ _ _ at low price at 1x5 per quintal, they have almost become as expensive as before the embargo. The 90 ships that we have in the roads _ _ _ _, the inhabitants and their commissionaries are all in league as to sell their wares at half price although it is abundant, and _ _ _ _ league as well. I'm planning to take my ship at the end of the year and go myslef next April to Le Havre unless their is war between France and England.

The affairs of the Americans are in the best possible state. The news from Bostonfrom the 2nd of November assure us that after the affair of the 13th of October that took place between General Gates, American, and General Burgoyne where the latter was wounded and lost a great part of his army, the Royalist general has been forced to surrender himself and his entire army consisting of about 6,000 men now prisoners of war.

Battle of Saratoga October 17, 1777

Their army under General Howe does not enjoy happy days, news from Baltimore near Philadelphia on the 1st of this month announced that if Genral Howe does not succeed in breaking through 'Chevaux de Frise' that the loss of his army will follow, finding himself enveloped in Philadelphia by considerable lines that General Washington has formed cutting him by these means all communication for rations by sea, as well as by land, we count on these news, they are confirmed by several ships that arrived, we consider here the Royalist army utterly destroyed and believe that we are _ _ _ _, one _ _ _ _ of the northern part that the Americans I think are in condition to undertake with success the conquest of Canada at the opening of the next campaign, maybe they are _ _ _ _ in vain. On the 27th of October, two days after the embargo was set on our ships, the harbor was forbidden to the Americans, the government was then to go tothe Mole St. Nicolas, fortunately they have thought better of it since then, they are received anew since the 19th inst. They are bringing much tobacco, rice, indigo, flours, wood, and they keep drawing canvas, common ones, big fabrics of wool, wines..... and they have been forbidden to charge any war powder and other ammunition.

Chevaux de Frise

We have been anounced 12,000 troopers for our colonies, 6,000 for the Iles du Vent and 6,000 for this one with those already in garrison. It is to be feared that they _ _ _ _, they should have arrived or be leaving, none has happened yet, all those preparations make me consider war looming, and fear not to go back to France. One will thus have to make do. the news I'm giving you from North America, Messieurs, are considered here very true and everyone believes them and I am among that number. If my letter is too long and does not interest you, you will have the grace of blaming yourself, having engaged me through your letters to inform you of all the interesting things that would happen concerning this country. I thank you a thousand times, Messieurs, for the feelings of friendship that you shaw me. I beg you to keep them on. I have the honor of being sincerely all yours. Messieurs Your very humble and devoted servant.

Capt. De Crespin

The Generals

I also found the distance traveled from Boston to Haiti interesting.

Letter was written Nov 26, 1777

Received news from Boston of the Battle of Saratoga on Nov 2, 1777

Letter Battle of Saratoga Oct 13, 1777

History Book Battle of Saratoga Oct 17, 1777

Saratoga, NY to Boston,Ma 215 miles

Boston to Haiti around 2,000 miles

The news traveled 2,215 miles from Saratoga, NY to Haiti

Letter Date = 21 days

History Book Date = 17 days

Possible or Impossible :rolleyes:

thanks,

barry

I also found the distance traveled from Boston to Haiti interesting.

Letter Date = 21 days

History Book Date = 17 days

Possible or Impossible :rolleyes:

thanks,

barry

Barry

If one assumes 2 days for the land section - possible with despatch riders - then you've got 15 or 19 days for the voyage. At 15 days (2000 miles divided by 15 divided by 24) that would mean 5.5 mph or about 4.5 knots sailing speed, CONSISTENTLY for two weeks. Probably quite possible in theory but I don't know enough to say how likely: prevailing winds, sailing times and degree of urgency would all factor. Let me ask some sailing buddies and see what they say.

Peter

Barry

Here's a reply from the RoyalNavy1812 list:

Given the parameters you've laid out, a vessel would have to average a speed

of 4 knots per hour, running 24/7 to make the voyage in 17 days. While

acheiving an average voyage speed of four knots would be considered pretty

good...it is not really very fast, so yes I would say making the voyage

would be possible and would be a voyage many New England sailing masters

would have been very familiar with, though I think running against the Gulf

Stream might slow you down a bit :7) I'd say possible, I might even be

persueded it "likely" given the importance of the message. I'll have to

check some sources at home, but I think Ben Franklin, in Paris at the time,

"knew" of Saratoga in fairly rapid fashion as well.

Fair Winds,

Jim Pierce

"They are lords of the sea, and neither in this dominion nor in world trade

have they any rivals left to fear" Field Marshall Gneisenau 1815 speaking on

Great Britain

"This letter is by a French ship Capt. on Sainte-Dominigue(Haiti) of his present situation dated November 26, 1777.

Capt. Francais the 26 November 1777"

Is this the guy who killed Captain Jack Sparrow in part 3? :rolleyes:

Shooting of Part Three finished in late November. My friend the historical adviser says that most of the flick revolves around Jack's remark in Part 1 "Clearly, you've never been in Singapore". But the poor guy didn't even get there. All shot on Sound Stage 7 in LaLa Land. Think 1,000s of gallons of water with plants in them sitting in a hot warehouse for a month! Bleeh!

Peter