News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New 57 Arrivals - Early Frosted General Assault Badge

Hello

I've just received some more 57 items for my collection. Here is a General Assault Badge. It retains all of it's frosted finish and has burnished highlights to the edge of the knife and the eagles shoulders.

As usual, any comments or observations welcome.

Regards

David

Very nice, and good to see with the quality frosted finish, but if I may ask, why do you define this as "Early" with this type of pin fitting ?

Hello

Thanks for the comments Gordon.

Whether I'm right on this Idon't know, but for the 57 items, I define early as covering approximately 1957 to 1967, mid from 1968 to 1976 and late thereafter. Although this piece isn't one of the very early ones which still used the wartime pins and hinges, I believe it to have been made in the first ten years. As I say, just my definitions, based on the styles of pins and hinges from items that have known dates of purchase, together with the overall quality of a piece.

The reason I asked is that as late as the late 70s I was buying '57 stuff from German sources (including S&L) which had early type pins (the type soldered to a barrel type sleeve and not the wrap around type). You badge is a nice piece, and far better than the crap quality they turned out from the mid-late 80s but not what I would have called early.

The reason I asked is that as late as the late 70s I was buying '57 stuff from German sources (including S&L) which had early type pins (the type soldered to a barrel type sleeve and not the wrap around type). You badge is a nice piece, and far better than the crap quality they turned out from the mid-late 80s but not what I would have called early.

Hello

Thanks for that Gordon, a very interesting piece of information. I have also seen 57 badges with the style of pin and hinge seen on this GAB which can be positivley dated as to purchase to the mid 1960's, (1964) through to the early 1970's, (1972), hence my 'timeline'. Your information adds another perspective on things, and makes trying to define any sort of timeline for these even harder !! If we accept that you could obtain these awards back in 1964 with the type of pin and hinge shown here; and if we accept that you could get these awards with the type of pin and hinge that you describe in the late 1970s, then 'dating' these becomes nigh on impossible. All that could be used then is the cripsness, quality and the level of finish on an item.