News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Army L.S.G.C. 1874-1901 pattern

Hello fellow members,

Here is a LSGC medal that I picked up several years ago. From the two holes near the hanger it would look as if this has not always been with the present hanger. The hanger looks correct but the two hole are one of the mysteries of this medal. The swivel attachment of this piece has been replaced by a small bolt! The recipient's name has been polished off, or nearly so. what I can make out is the following, "408 Qt. Mr.Sergeant,(area where the name would have been), N. Staff. R. (North Staffordshire Reg.?)

Why anyone would only partially remove the lettering is a mystery to me. I was able to pick this one up at a pretty good price as the name had been removed. Still it is to a Quarter Master Sergeant and perhaps some day I will be able to trace the original owner through his number and regiment and it is in pretty good condition.

The reverse is the usual, "For Long Service and Good Conduct".

Cheers

Brian

Interesting. This medal has obviously had an odd and difficult life. With the regimental number, rank, and regiment intact, this one could probably be researched in the National Archives (a.k.a. PRO) in Kew. Never having researched such a medal to a native (of the British Isles), I am not immediately sure how/where to start, but I'm sure others would know.

Crude filing etc was usually employed by a man who had lost or pawned his original or wanted to wear a medal to which he was not entitled, depending on circumstances this partial removal of details may have satisfied a person who then wore it as his own,

I have a WWI Victory on which all the details had been filed & sanded down, but a few digits & letters were just abpout readable & the name unusual enough for me to find the original recipient by checking through the National Archives listing of Medal Index Cards.

I have a WWI pair which has the naming removed & replaced by the details of a man who does'nt appear to be listed in the Medals Index Cards - although his battalion is added to the usual details, so prehaps a man who was'nt entitled to a WWI pair or who lost or pawned the originals.

There is a slight possibility that a black light will reveal more detail, & if you talk to your local police scenes of crime officer nicely he may heat your medal with a blow torch & drop some acid on it, which is a good way of briefly raising the erased detail - but I have a suspicion that it would mess up the medal somehow.

Has the suspender been replacedl? Medals of this vintage were often converted to menu holders, but having two holes drilled in the positions they are in on your medal does'nt seem to fit that use, & the medals used twould more likely be campaign medals.

Perhaps it was converted to a piece of jewellery?

Crude filing etc was usually employed by a man who had lost or pawned his original or wanted to wear a medal to which he was not entitled, depending on circumstances this partial removal of details may have satisfied a person who then wore it as his own,

I have a WWI Victory on which all the details had been filed & sanded down, but a few digits & letters were just abpout readable & the name unusual enough for me to find the original recipient by checking through the National Archives listing of Medal Index Cards.

I have a WWI pair which has the naming removed & replaced by the details of a man who does'nt appear to be listed in the Medals Index Cards - although his battalion is added to the usual details, so prehaps a man who was'nt entitled to a WWI pair or who lost or pawned the originals.

There is a slight possibility that a black light will reveal more detail, & if you talk to your local police scenes of crime officer nicely he may heat your medal with a blow torch & drop some acid on it, which is a good way of briefly raising the erased detail - but I have a suspicion that it would mess up the medal somehow.

Has the suspender been replacedl? Medals of this vintage were often converted to menu holders, but having two holes drilled in the positions they are in on your medal does'nt seem to fit that use, & the medals used twould more likely be campaign medals.

Perhaps it was converted to a piece of jewellery?

I think you are correct on the jewellery suggestion. I have used black light with no luck. I've also use several different magniying loops and even my microscope. I looks like a buffing wheel was used so the finished job, though incomplete, looks better than the old bastard file job(type of file not a file born out of wedlock).

Cheers

Brian

If the naming is impressed, rather than engraved, I'm told that an xray will show a ghost image of the naming due to the incresed density of metal beneath the letters.

A researcher at Kew should be able to find your man. One way would be to check medal rolls for the North Staffs. in the late Victorian period, but faster would probably a muster roll search, followed by a search for soldier's papers.

If the naming is impressed, rather than engraved, I'm told that an xray will show a ghost image of the naming due to the incresed density of metal beneath the letters.

A researcher at Kew should be able to find your man. One way would be to check medal rolls for the North Staffs. in the late Victorian period, but faster would probably a muster roll search, followed by a search for soldier's papers.

Hi Michael,

I may just try that (the Kew suggestion). If I can figure out who would be willing to give the xray thing a go I'd try it. If I were to hold it in my mouth the next time the dentist took an xray....

Ok, bad idea. :speechless: But I will ask around at the University.

Cheers

Brian

It.s possible that if you leave such an area uncleaned & let it tone then some detail may be revealed - polish it & you lose it, & have to wait for it to dirty up again.

Hello Leigh,

I never thought of that. Easy, and it just might work.

Thanks

Brian