News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Best modern Assault Rifle?

Firefly

Hands down it is a new Russian designed rifle that I am sorry to say I forget what it's called. It is not an AK47 or a variant but looks a bit line one. Production started early 90's and it sports a variable automatic feed rate and starts off at one speed and I think decreases. The hit probability factor is increased this way.

Sorry all I got on it at the moment.

Mike

But is that feature enough to qualify it as "the best" ? Sounds neat, but there are many other things that may be more important to a soldier in the field.

But is that feature enough to qualify it as "the best" ? Sounds neat, but there are many other things that may be more important to a soldier in the field.

Some consider the AK the best. If it's the best then this newer Russian Rifle is even better. This debate was pigeon holed from the get go and short sighted. Is there really a "best" anything? It's like asking who the best guitar player is, impossible to say because it's a question of taste. Some of the most technical players in the world might lack the "feeling" of lesser and even un known guitar players. Same with Assault Weapons in some regards.

The M4 does not rate in my book. The Caliber is lacking. My personal preference would be a standard G-3. :beer:

Mike

• 9 months later...

After being 10 years in the German Reserve now I already shot many assault guns of other nations. As Chris writes, it is important with which rifle you "grow up". For me it was the H&K G3 in 7,62 mm and I still like that gun. The modern G36 we use now has got too much plastic and you get problems with the optics during a fast change from warm to cold temperatures. I still trust the G3 even with its weight and more or less obsolete caliber...

• 1 month later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

There has been much discussion among various militaries about adopting PDW's (Personal Defence Weapons) for certain branches where a full size assault rifle is not necessary. Some of them are very impressive looking little units, and have a far greater range and dropping power over an SMG. The M7 the Germans are producing looks the best, more conventional than the FN P90. I believe the Yanks are looking to adopt a type that is .45 cal for better dropping power. I think it is an interesting direction in the path of weapons development and usage.

With regards to assault rifles, I have tried the M4 and it is poorly balanced when unslung. I wasn't very impressed with it overall. I really liked the Steyr, good balance, the carbine (short barrel) version is good, but you need to wear nomex gloves or you get flash-burns. It is a very accurate rifle. I originally trained on the SLR, which I still like for hitting power. We had two versions, the semi-auto rifle which became unbearably hot after about 100 rounds and the heavy barrelled automatic rifle (AR). I have handled the SA80 when I cross-decked onto a Pommy ship, but never got to fire it so I can't really comment on its performance.

Regards;

Johnsy