News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Since it's really no fun to have a thread without some controversy, here you go!

Because of the late institution of the Luftwaffe Ground Gombat Badge, they're almost always encountered in zinc. While there are pieces attributed to the Juncker firm, it's based on the method of construction, not maker's marks. A badge falling outside of those boundries would have to be considered, at minimum, a curiosity.

Luftwaffe Ground Combat marked CE Juncker

Struck in Neusilber

My guess is that this badge was struck as a presentation piece of some sort. Just my theory. It's really unfortunate that on such a unique piece that, after a hard night, Willi couldn't keep the maker's mark aligned while he was whacking it. There are three separate marks, it's not a blurry photo. Still the skinny "E" before the R, leaning "L", and "Z" shaped S are fortunately fairly visible. The highlights are polished, and it's really an exceptional badge to hold in your hand. I've heard plenty of praise and criticism so any comments are welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Bob!  A couple of years ago I took it to the SOS so I know several members have seen it first hand.  It's really an exceptional example.

Dear Larry and "hi guys",

I did not know that example yet! Outstanding, I hope that I can hold and examine it too one day.

Cheers,

Frank