News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

BRITISH WAR MEDAL

Hallo Gents; :cheers:

Just thought I would share this one with you. :jumping::jumping:

traveled 284 km by train on Friday night / Saturday morning to attend a Collectors meeting in Brasov, Central Romania, my main interest at these events entails looking for Austrian, German and Romanian Royal Medals, mainly from the turn of the century and WW1 & WW2.

I found there a

BRITISH WAR MEDAL 1914 - 1918.

The information on the rim: 91340 DVR. .J. MURRAY R.A.

Nice piece along way from home and well worth the total round trip of 588 Km.

Now, where to find a piece of original ribbon.

Just located this information online:

57 MURRAY, JOSEPH Driver 91340 10/10/1919 24 Royal Field Artillery United Kingdom D. 35. EDINBURGH (COMELY BANK) CEMETERY.

Name: MURRAY, JOSEPH.

Initials: J.

Nationality: United Kingdom.

Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery.

Unit Text: 6th "B" Reserve Bde. attd. 34th Reserve Bty.

Date of Death: 10/10/1919.

Service No: 91340.

Additional information: Son of Thomas and Rebecca Murray, of 26, Brookfield Terrace, Blackrock, Co. Dublin. (Ireland.)

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead.

Grave/Memorial Reference: D. 35.

Cemetery: EDINBURGH (COMELY BANK) CEMETERY.

I wonder what happened to his Victory Medal :unsure:

Kevin in Deva :beer:

The only Joseph Murray of the RHA - RFA that I can find in Soldiers Died shows:

Gunner, Terrrtorial Force, 630077,Born Aberdeen, enlisted Aberdeen, died of wounds France & Flanders 14/7/17.

There are a total of 17 Joseph Murrays listed as Other Ranks, & one officer, none died later than 1918.

One missed by Soldiers Died or just a mistake in noting details of dates & numbers etc?

The only man with the serial number 91340 that I can find in Soldiers Died is a man of different name in the Notts & Derbys.........your man must be an ommission from Soldiers Died.........

You've obviously checked the CWGC site, are you going to cough up a few quid for the Medal Index Card on line?

Here's your man:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=9

Edited by leigh kitchen