News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Khedive's Star 1884-86

Hello All,

Here is my 1884-86 Khedive's Star awarded for action in the Nile and Eastern Sudan.

I don't have the undated 1881 or the undated with the Tokar bar and with the ever rising prices and fakes now on the market I doubt I will ever add them. Oh, who am I kidding? I'm a collector, of course I'll add them some day. Man, this is one sickness I never want to get over! :lol:

Cheer and happy collecting.

Brian

• 1 year later...

Obverse and Reverse

The Khedive issued undated stars for the later campaigns near Suakin in 1887 and for the Nile in 1889. In 1893 a further issue was made of the undated variation for the action or battle of Tokar which took place on 19 February 1891. Participants in the battle who had not been awarded a star were awarded the undated star with the bar bearing the arabic inscription of " TOKAR 1308H ". Previous recipients of the star were just awarded the bar. This has made this award of the undated star with the bar to be reasonably rare to find. Most participants in the battle of Tokar has already been issued with one of the previous Khedive's Egyptian Stars. Only one issue of the star could be given to a specific individual. The medal displayed in this post, and which forms part of my collection, was purchased from a very old antique shop in the Omdurman market a few weeks ago. I also managed to find an undated star without bar from the same dealer.

One tends to pay much higher prices in this country when purchasing silver medals as they are normally weighed and sold according to their silver value. It is therefore possible to find relative bargains but it takes a lot of patience and work to search through very old and dusty storage boxes. If I find any additional medals that I already have in my collection, I will make them available at cost prices to any interested parties and will contact them through PM.

Here's my Khedive's Star collection.

I'm not sure if I've posted this set before but I thought it would go well here.

I was too lazy to take them out of the drawer I keep them in for the photo so I hope the lighting is good enough.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

It appears that the Khedive's stars were issued prior to the recipient receiving the British Egypt medal there is a Khedive's Star 1884 to 1870 Pte J. Murray 10th Hussars (engraved on reverse). While his Egypt El-Teb-Tamaai was forfeit due to desertion 19 February 1885. Does anyone know of similar cases?

Paul