News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Tank Destruction Strip

Hi all...

I was given a tank destruction strip in gold that I am unsure of its authenticity. I have been looking for information but it seems to be quite scarce. If you would please give me your thoughts.

Edited by MG120

I agree that better shots of the tank would be helpful. Here is a silver grade PVA. Note the level of detailing of the tank. Note too the direction of the weave of the black borders.

PK

Edited by PKeating

Here is a Gold PVA. Of course, there were several manufacturers but this gives you a fair idea of what to look for. How many prongs can you feel under the cloth backing glued to the reverse of the badge? Is there a metal backing plate? Is the tank magnetic? Is the backing plate magnetic?

A magnetic tank is a good sign but your seems to lack the detail one expects of originals. This could be due to image quality. The backing strip looks metallic: is it? Some Gold PVA had Cellon backing strips. Cellon, often seen in Kriegsmarine cap badges, consists of fine rayon thread wrapped in celluloid. Others had metallic backing strips. I remain hesitant about the direction of the weave of the black stripes. The label is also unfamiliar to me. These badges were generally supplied in paper envelopes, like other awards, with the award designation printed thereon. Here's another original Gold PVA.

Edited by PKeating

Hey PK,

Thanks for the help, that is a paper envelope, just cropped to the label part. The back has the Deschler and Son, Munchen tag on the envelope. The backing for the tank is the metal plate, while the backing of the entire strip seems to be of a greyish wool or felt.

MG120

There was a discussion at one time, can't remember where, that challenged the mainstream thought about the direction of the of the border weave. Can anyone remember this debate, as I believe there were some war time, supposedly, examples brought forth that went against the accepted direction of the weave? Can anyone add on this?

Cheers,

James