News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wisconsin National Guard Medal

Hi Guys,

Anyone know anything about this medal?

Gordon.

Gordon - Yes, Most State Guards have equivalents to active duty Army medals like the Meritorious Service Medal, the Army Commendation Medal, and the Army Achievement Medal. These are given out soldiers who are on state service. Once they are mobilized, like for Iraq or Afghanistan, they are eligible for active Army medals. Kevin

Edited by ehrentitle

Gordon - Yes, Most State Guards have equivalents to active duty Army medals like the Meritorious Service Medal, the Army Commendation Medal, and the Army Achievement Medal. These are given out soldiers who are on state service. Once they are mobilized, like for Iraq or Afghanistan, they are eligible for active Army medals. Kevin

Cheers Kevin, so it`s a kinda thanks for mobilzing medal then?

Cheers Kevin, so it`s a kinda thanks for mobilzing medal then?

Gordon - No actually its given to guardsmen only when they are on state duty, i.e. under control of the state. They can be give out for a variety of reasons. I remember seeing a news article some time back that indicated that a Wisconsin National Guardsmen had been awarded the Wisconsion Commendation Medal for saving a child from choking at a local airport. AFTER moblization they are authorized active Army medals. Sorry to cause confusion. Kevin

Gordon - No actually its given to guardsmen only when they are on state duty, i.e. under control of the state. They can be give out for a variety of reasons. I remember seeing a news article some time back that indicated that a Wisconsin National Guardsmen had been awarded the Wisconsion Commendation Medal for saving a child from choking at a local airport. AFTER moblization they are authorized active Army medals. Sorry to cause confusion. Kevin

So its one worth having then! :jumping:

A peculiarity about National Guard items is that you are NOT authorized to wear them while on active duty, and when you are on state duty, you may wear them not only after ALL federal decorations and service medals and ribbons, but also after all foreign medals! Many of these NG pieces are just longevity awards, but the criteria for some top National Guard decorations are really high.

Lukasz