News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

How to repair a broken tank-wheel ?

Christian Zulus

HOW TO REPAIR A TANK-WHEEL :unsure:?

Gentlemen,

I am a collector of Soviet Orders & Medals and Militaria. In my old days I started modelling again :D .

I purchased a Tamiya-Kit - Soviet KV-1 B with Applique Armour - a true beginner's set ;) .

After 3 hours the impressive tank was finished (without painting), all weels were moving and also the tracks moved perfect.

Only the front wheel at the left side did not move so well, despite the fact, that I assembeld all wheel in the correct way. For that wheel I also used some sewingmachine oil to improve the movement.

After some days I reconcnized, that the wheel broke away :( .

I tried to fix it with some super-glu - no result :( .

What to do?

A friend of mine is a keen freelance juweller, who already helped me, to restore a broken ring from a medal. Would it make any sense to implant a small titan-bar - or other metal-bar - in the suspension of the wheel (my friend used that technique for fixing the medal's ring)?

Many thanks for your expertise in advance :beer: .

Best regards

Christian

Some times various chemicals affect the plastic, and the end result is breakage. Paint thinners used in washes will do this. Also the oils may be affecting the superglue.

Dear Laurence,

many thanks for your expertise :beer: .

But how to get the Tamiya-tank running again :unsure::( ?

Best regards from Vienna

Christian

• 5 weeks later...

HOW TO REPAIR A TANK-WHEEL :unsure:?

Gentlemen,

I am a collector of Soviet Orders & Medals and Militaria. In my old days I started modelling again :D .

I purchased a Tamiya-Kit - Soviet KV-1 B with Applique Armour - a true beginner's set ;) .

After 3 hours the impressive tank was finished (without painting), all weels were moving and also the tracks moved perfect.

Only the front wheel at the left side did not move so well, despite the fact, that I assembeld all wheel in the correct way. For that wheel I also used some sewingmachine oil to improve the movement.

After some days I reconcnized, that the wheel broke away :( .

I tried to fix it with some super-glu - no result :( .

What to do?

A friend of mine is a keen freelance juweller, who already helped me, to restore a broken ring from a medal. Would it make any sense to implant a small titan-bar - or other metal-bar - in the suspension of the wheel (my friend used that technique for fixing the medal's ring)?

Many thanks for your expertise in advance :beer: .

Best regards

Christian

Gentlemen,

may I ask for practical help again.

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Hallo Christian :beer:

Have you thought of writing to Tamiya at the place of manufacture to see if they could supply you with a spare?? :unsure:

Would be good P.R. for them :beer: and what have you got to loose for asking.

Kevin in Deva :D

Dear Kevin,

good idea :cheers: , but in my special case some spare parts wouldn't help :( .

I would have to build a complete new tank, because the suspension is fixed to the complete chassis-part of the the model - the largest part of the set :( .

Christian

Dear Kevin,

good idea :cheers: , but in my special case some spare parts wouldn't help :( .

I would have to build a complete new tank, because the suspension is fixed to the complete chassis-part of the the model - the largest part of the set :( .

Christian

If I understand correctly, the problem would be the tension that the tracks are applying is causing the damaged suspension arm to break each time it is glued?

I think there is only 2 solutions:

1) Drill out a small hole in each part and insert a piece of metal for strength, or

2) Scrap the plastic tracks and buy individual track-links and use those. They will have no tension.

Rich

If I understand correctly, the problem would be the tension that the tracks are applying is causing the damaged suspension arm to break each time it is glued?

1) Drill out a small hole in each part and insert a piece of metal for strength, or

Rich

Dear Richard,

many thanks for your expertise :cheers: .

That's what I actually also thought - so I will bring the KV-1 to my juweller, who has all the needed tools and materials.

Christian

• 8 months later...

Hi Msgt_mode,

It has been many years since I did any model work but I do have a suggestion.

First perhaps it would have been better if you could have posted a photo or two of the model so that members could see the damaged area. That would allow them (and me) to make more informed suggestions.

My suggestion comes from a tank model from Tamiya that suffered some damage while still in the package (my fault). I don't recall which tank it was but I do remember it being German, perhaps the Tiger. I kept the damaged part, added to it and made it look like battle field damage. Would it be possble to create a small diarama showing the crew attempting a field repair? It's one way to turn a disaster into a unique piece of model making.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian