News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello All,

I have two more medals in the lot I received on approval that I hope you can help me with. I have seen these two medals before in medal groups so I believe them to be genuine. I know the oval one is for war service but what was the larger round one awarded for? Also are these medals with the correct ribbons?

When I first got this lot of 20 medals I had decided to "deal" them. Now that my fellow forum members have told me which ones are with the correct ribbons and which ones to send back I have decided to keep 15 and start a new thread in my collection.

Oh come on! We all knew I would end up collecting Imperial German if I had these for a couple of days. I'm a weak man. :blush:

There is no hope for me, as I believe the only cure for the "sickness" of collecting is more collecting!

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

One is a curiosity, two is a pair, three is a collection and four is an obsession.

Guest Rick Research

Yup, original ribbon on the Kaiser Wilhelm I Centenary Medal for those on active duty in Prussian and Reichs forces on 22 March 1897 AND to all veterans of 1870/71 and Prussian veterans of the earlier wars led by then King Wilhelm I.

That's a WW2 War Merit Cross ribbon on the 1920s Kyffh?userbund Medal, but it is very close. The outer white and orangey-red stripes were about 1/2 that wide on the Kyffh?user medal--they'd both fit in the outer edge stripe here.

Yup, original ribbon on the Kaiser Wilhelm I Centenary Medal for those on active duty in Prussian and Reichs forces on 22 March 1897 AND to all veterans of 1870/71 and Prussian veterans of the earlier wars led by then King Wilhelm I.

That's a WW2 War Merit Cross ribbon on the 1920s Kyffh?userbund Medal, but it is very close. The outer white and orangey-red stripes were about 1/2 that wide on the Kyffh?user medal--they'd both fit in the outer edge stripe here.

Hi Rick,

Many thanks to you and all of the members for your help. Next medal show I'm buying a book on German medals. I knew I shouldn't have taken these medals home for approval! :lol:

Cheers

Brian

You can probably easily replace the Kyffhauser medal, probably even with an original one too. Or if you're going to start taking imperial bars seriously wait until you find a nice bar with a missing one (ribbon only)!

Imperial are indeed hard to resist! I had bought some items off a flea market way back as I thought they were cheap with the intention of selling them off.... with great regret when I got down to doing it as once you own these jewels its so hard to let go!

But when selling I found that one of the bars (which I suspected was veteran assembled) may have actually been totally fictitious. Still sold "as-is" with my description adjusted to say that there were some doubts as to the originality of the bar ... but what I did realise was that Imperial is a very wide area of study for which one needs to be fully armed unless one wants to fill oneself up with fictitious items! My perception at least, although like all other areas, if approached with care and dedication, its well worth the effort.

But I guess the Imperial collectors will be able to throw more light on this than I can!

Jim :cheers:

nice medals for sure, :jumping:

we can't ecpect everyone to buy the most rare medals such as a genuine Pour le merite at once, and these are just perfect for every collection, even I can't resist buying them when they are low priced, they look great!, aren't expensive and should be at the start of every imperial medal collection.

Great addition, and an original ribbon for the Kyffhauser one can be found easy on eBay.

nice medals for sure, :jumping:

we can't ecpect everyone to buy the most rare medals such as a genuine Pour le merite at once, and these are just perfect for every collection, even I can't resist buying them when they are low priced, they look great!, aren't expensive and should be at the start of every imperial medal collection.

Great addition, and an original ribbon for the Kyffhauser one can be found easy on eBay.

Hi Roeland,

Thanks for the kind comments. I shall keep a watch for the Kyffhauser ribbon on eBay.

Cheers

Brian