News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

From Royal Artillery to AFM

Reviewing some badges in my collection I thought it would be interesting to present the following pics for those of you into cap badges or Regimental Signs and badges.

First up the Royal Artillery badge.... which most are familar with:

The RA badge is borrowed by the Royal Malta Artillery in 1889 where it loses the battle roll "Ubique" (Everywhere) and the Motto "Quo Fas Et Gloria Duc unt" (Where Duty and Glory lead) is changed to "Tutela Bellice Virtutis". The badges is also superimposed over the Maltese 8 pointed cross.

As Malta is a british colony the Royal Malta Artillery also carries the crown.

Following Maltese independence in 1964 and into the 1970's most things "Royal" were lost! The RMA become known (or was formed into) the Task Force later to become the Armed Forces of Malta (AFM). The badge of the RMA lost its crown to become the badge of the AFM:

Edited by JimZ

I tried to get the scrols with "Tutela Bellica Virtutis" translated and what I got is : "Protection, warlike, valor" - Perhaps some of you who may have studied Latin can correct this.

Jim :cheers: