News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1957 Regulations

I still regularly see reference to 1957 "neue Form" decorations as "Bundeswehr" awards or that veterans had to provide an award document or some other proof to be allowed to purchase one.

In fact, 1957 awards were always available, "over the counter" to anyone who wanted to buy one. They were never specifically for the Bundeswehr but for anyone who wished to wear or display, but couldn't because of the swastika, their original awards whether members of the Bundeswehr or not.

It was only the modern awards of the Bundesrepublik that required production of proof of entitlement from someone who wanted to buy one.

Note para 2 here refers to providing proof of entitlement and para 3 specifically points out that this does NOT apply to awards from before 8 May 1945.

• 10 months later...

In fact, 1957 awards were always available, "over the counter" to anyone who wanted to buy one. They were never specifically for the Bundeswehr but for anyone who wished to wear or display, but couldn't because of the swastika, their original awards whether members of the Bundeswehr or not.

It was only the modern awards of the Bundesrepublik that required production of proof of entitlement from someone who wanted to buy one.

However if you were a member of the Bundeswehr and wanted to wear your pre-1945 awards, you need to show proof that you receive them, the Bundeswehr also re-issue pre-1945 documents (intrestinly them still had "In names des fuhrer" writen on them :P ).

However if you were a member of the Bundeswehr and wanted to wear your pre-1945 awards, you need to show proof that you receive them, the Bundeswehr also re-issue pre-1945 documents (intrestinly them still had "In names des fuhrer" writen on them :P ).

I think thats pretty much a universal rule in every army everywhere, that a soldier would need to be able to prove that he was entitled to any medals he wisheds to wear.

• 1 month later...

Hello

On the subject of the 1957 style re-issue awards, I see that Vern Bowen, (author of 'The Prussain and German Iron Cross), released a new book in June of this year called 'Manufacturing Instructions for 1939-45 German New Form Decorations'. It's available in the UK from Amazon and W H Smiths, priced at around ?16.00. For anyone interested, the details are:

Title: Manufacturing Instructions for 1939-45 German New Form Decorations

Paperback: 83 pages

Publisher: Iron Cross Research Publications (30 Jun 2006)

Language English

ISBN: 0951599267

hi Gordon,

about the medals, did the government issue them or did the veterans had to go to some special government shop to purchase them?

thanks,

K

1957 awards were never issued, always purchased at the soldiers own expense either direct from manufacturers like Steinhauer or from retail shops like uniform outfitters.

Anyone have some examples of post war re-issued Urkunde's they would be able to post?

Thanks for the info Gordon :beer:

I don't believe that award documents were "re-issued" as such, but former soldiers could on providing proof of entitlement, have a form of Urkunde made up and notarised by their local State authorities certifying that they had won the award. I've seen several of these from Knight's Cross winners. I'll try to dig out some that I have photocopies of.