News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello all, I wanted to ask a quick question from the photo collectors here. I got a nice album to a WWI priest in the orignal ablum. Many photos are lost, but many are there. The silver content of some photoss seems very high and unstable, so I keep them out of the light

My question, should I leave the photos where they are in the album, or remove them, place them in a modern acid free album, and just mark where they came out of the original album (how is that for a run-on sentance :) )

Chris Liontas,

I think I could speak for everyone else here who would like to see some more of the studio photos of your priest. This insignia is extremely hard to find and it would be good to see close-up what it looked like. For instance, I have never before seen a cape with the neutrality symbol on it.

Thanks,

Chip

Hi Chip! Thank you for your comments! :) I also have never seen the neutrality symbol on the cape before, it was really a shocker when I got the album. Unfortuneatly I have found no name on any photo :( There is one of the chaplain as a small child with the name George on it, so the first name could be that. I am going to scan in some closeups of the portraits as I think they really show off the insignia well.

Additional photos, This is kind of out of order in the album, but I thought people might enjoy this. Again, I have no name but a possible George. The chaplain was from Munich as many of the photos are from a Munich photographer - so me must have been close. He was stationed with a Hospital, it looks like an established hospital rather than a front line unit.

Here is the photo from the album with the hospital staff. I blew up two scans of the photo, it shows some really nice Red Cross uniforms and Nuns in the front row. Please let me know if you want any other part of the photo scanned. (the red cross visors are great!)

Chris,

Wonderful photos. It's rare to find such outstanding photos of military priests. There are several good photos in Kraus's book, but these are equally nice.

In a similar vein, may I ask other readers, was there such a thing as enlisted assistants or other enlisted personel assigned to the priests and Protestant chaplains? I ask because I have seen an issue enlisted man's visorless cap with the same purple/violet band and piping as on the Feldgeistliche visored officer's style cap.

Chip

Edited by Chip