News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This generic style was used by a number of manufacturers during the period, however there is one feature on this badge that matches exactly to current fakes and which I haven't seen on any of the known originals, and that is the very heavy rippled effect on the crossed ribbons at the base of the wreath.

If you check out the known makers who used this style, FO, Souval, Foerster & Barth, etc etc, you'll see the difference right away. Other than this one feature, most of the current crop of fakes of this style are well nigh perfect.

This generic style was used by a number of manufacturers during the period, however there is one feature on this badge that matches exactly to current fakes and which I haven't seen on any of the known originals, and that is the very heavy rippled effect on the crossed ribbons at the base of the wreath.

If you check out the known makers who used this style, FO, Souval, Foerster & Barth, etc etc, you'll see the difference right away. Other than this one feature, most of the current crop of fakes of this style are well nigh perfect.

I agree on this. Looking at exemples from most German auction houses and well known dealers gives the same outcome. Looks a tricky one to me too.

At first I liked this badge . At first glance it looks well made and it has a nice age patina to it . After looking at the pictures I did not like the top view of the eagle's head , it looks like some minor casting defects around the head and shoulder area . As Gordon pointed out the ribbons look incorrect for this badge . This looks like a top end cast badge with some very good chemical aging . The bad news for collectors these days is that there are casting materials that will produce a badge with the exact size as an original ! Years ago the repro's were made from cheap plaster type moulds that had a lot of shrinkage . The material now on the market is very expensive but when you think about the sky high prices of TR awards it makes the price of the casting material worth it . If you use the correct metal you can now make a u-boat badge etc that will be correct in size and weight :-( the plating and poor hinge and pin assemblies still is a good sign of a repro ., this is why you see so many "originals " with missing or " replacement " pins on them ! I made a " test mule " u-boat badge with this casting material and cast it in zinc and it would pass for an original in weight and size . Since this was only a test I did not bother with the hinge and pin on the back .