News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Two uniforms for your consideration

German fighter ace, Leutnant Walter von Bulow-Bothkamp seen in the Hussars uniform shown above which he continued to wear after transfering to the German Army Air Service.

In that famous photo, Leutnant Walter von Bulow-Bothkamp is wearing a field grey M1910 hussar atilla. The one you you first showed a photo of is a pre war attila.

Edited by Thomas

Very interesting tunics. Based on the piping of the collar and cuff, the "Bodenschatz" tunic would appear to be post-war, with the carmine color piping and peculiar litzen for the general staff. As far as I know, only generals would have piping (red) on the collar and cuff on a bluse, along with general's litzen on a feldgrau backing. Although as stated, he was the Adjutant for J.G.1, but I don't know if Bodenschatz was ever in the general staff.

The tunic attributed to von Bulow-Bothkamp is most assuredly not his. Prior to tranferring to the air service, von Bolow-Bothkamp was in Husaren-Regt 17. The pre-war interims attila for this regiment is completely black, including the frogging, toggles and rosettes and with no frogging on the pockets.

Regards

Dave

Thanks for the terrific input guys... interesting how such pieces find their way into museums and always good to get an alternative expert perspective on these matters. :)

What a nightmare when aquisition committees are set up and then get it so wrong!

Here is the plaque for von Eberhardt's uniform at the top of this thread.

Omaka090.jpg