News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Irish Medals at Auction

Gentlemen,

The escalating price expectations for Irish medals !!

http://www.jamesadam.ie/BidCat/detail.asp?...&LotRef=396

LOT 396 ? ?The Turner Medals?

Provenance:

* Joseph & Frank Turner: 1916 Rising Service Medals, and War of Independence Medals, each with ?Comrac? bar, awarded to father Joseph and son, Frank Turner, 10 Summerhill, Dublin. The 1916 Medals are both engraved on reverse with recipients names Joseph & Francis Turner, respectively, and with ?G? Company 1st Battalion, G.P.O. Garrison on each medal also.

Purchased sometime ago by a Dublin collector directly from the family.

* Harry Turner: 1916 Rising Service Medal and 1919-21 War of Independence Medal with ?Comrac? bar, awarded to Henry Turner, another member of the G.P.O. Garrison. A photocopy of a photograph of the 1936 Re-Union with both brothers identified is included in this lot.

Sold as Lot 122, Whytes Auctions, 9/4/2006 Sale, on behalf of Harry?s family, when it was purchased by the present owner.

* All three Turners are included in the listings in the ?1916 Rebellion Handbook.? They each served in ?G? Company in the most famous unit of 1916 Insurrection, ?G.P.O. Garrison,? under the direct command of P.H. Pearse & James Connolly

Will be interesting to see what the market bears.

An Ceallach

Ceallach,

I think we both know the collector who is putting these up for sale. I think we also share the view that the catalogue is pretty poor. I know for a fact that a huge number of footnotes and research were left out of the catalogue to save printing costs !

Regards,

Paul

Ceallach,

I think we both know the collector who is putting these up for sale. I think we also share the view that the catalogue is pretty poor. I know for a fact that a huge number of footnotes and research were left out of the catalogue to save printing costs !

Regards,

Paul

Paul,

Agreed. It is very tough to make an informed decision when pertinent pieces of information, provenance for example, and good quality images are excluded. The officially name Comrac medal to Vol. Yorke, where both an image and details are missing is a more shocking example. The intellectual leap one is expected to make in some cases is astonishing. Some sellers must be furious. I am also dismayed that they chose to narrow the field by removing the live auction bidding function that EBay facilitates, it certainly limits the options for offshore bidders and keeps the locals happy !

Best regards,

An Ceallach

• 10 years later...
    Guest Frank Turner

Hello Paul and Ceallach

My name is Frank Turner, and as you can probably easily ascertain I am related to all 3 recipients of the aforementioned Turner medals. I have been searching for the last 2 years for whomever currently has the medals, or who sold them to him as they were in a car belonging to my father (also Frank Turner) stolen back in 2004 but never recovered. except for the medals belonging to Harry as these were in another relatives possession. We only became aware of them even being gone as a friend of my brother who is interested in 1916 memorabilia noticed they were sold at auction. I have gone as far as i can trying to source the person that put them up for auction, or the person that bought them but with no luck. After reading your posts it seems you have a good idea of who this may be, and I am hoping you could point me in the right direction. I hope you can appreciate how unbelievably important it is for us to try and recover these medals, and the fact that they were sold at auction more then once, apparently portrayed as being purchased from/ or sold on behalf of the family was a complete fabrication makes things even worse, as if there is a cover up, as both auction houses unwilling to give any details. My next step will be to have to ask the authorities to follow up from where i have got so far, but I would rather not and would prefer to try solve this myself. If you could please give me any info at all I would greatly appreciate it.