News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gentlemen,

I do not want to blow up Stogies Baden NCO in China thread.... so I start a new one for Badener in Southwestafrica. I can show you two medal bars with the MEZ2 AND the Friedrich medal "f?r Verdienst" we were talking about in the other thread - great heavy medals!!!

Bernd, are there any lists for this combination in southwest to elliminate some guys...? I would be very happy to give these 2 bars a name, maybe the one with the OZL cross is easier..... nevertheless great bars!!!

The first one is from the Seymour auctions and the second one some years ago from Tony Colson.....

enjoy and comment :beer:

Heiko

Heiko, great to see these two again. :beer:

My father wanted to buy the first one when it came up, but for us, it went way to expensive. The combination of TWO very rare Baden bravery awards on one bar is just amazing. It's hard enought to find a bar with one of those ... :love:

Now the second one is kind of funny - and interresting, of course: he actually wears the same award twice: "Silberne Verdienstmedaille am Band der Milit?r-Karl Friedrich-Verdienstmedaille", but given for differant wars by different grand dukes, so they are looking differently.

I have never seen a Silver Merit Medal given by Friedrich II. for Colonial service post 1908, but I guess there were as well some (say five, ten or twenty). If one of those was awarded another one in Word War I, he might have worn the SAME medal twice. :o Has anyone ever seen a Friedrich II. in silver on Karl Friedrich ribbon, awarded for colonial service? Rick, Heiko, Werner maybe?!

Ok, now the problem of seeing ribbon bars without seeing the RIGHT awards on them...... Baden medal for DSWA or for ww1 combat action???

here is a ribbon bar that should have EK2 and MEZ2 for DSWA in the first positions...now is this a Baden colonial award???? or ww1?

and this ribbon bar is completely crazy..... nearly all sword devices are turned up and two are completely missing..... ribbon 2 what should be an EK has a hole in the middle and ribbon 3 , the Baden award, has holes and you can see that there has been a ROUND device on it some time.....is this that what I am thinking about??????????

The first one: you're right, we'll never know without a photo or matching big bar. A World War award is thus much more likely.

Actually, I do not want to say anything about the second one as I cannot be right anyway ... :speechless:

A wreath on the Baden ribbon, if it's right there (and can we trust someone who puts swords on his Soutwestafrica medal's ribbon?!) can only be a Knight Cross of the Milit?r-Karl Friedrich-Verdienstorden if he's been a officer (green wreath) or the mathing Silver medal with a silver wreath, or a Small Golden Merit Medal, with a golden wreath for a NCO. But this bar is sooo weird ... :o

Gentlemen,

I do not want to blow up Stogies Baden NCO in China thread.... so I start a new one for Badener in Southwestafrica. I can show you two medal bars with the MEZ2 AND the Friedrich medal "f?r Verdienst" we were talking about in the other thread - great heavy medals!!!

Bernd, are there any lists for this combination in southwest to elliminate some guys...? I would be very happy to give these 2 bars a name, maybe the one with the OZL cross is easier..... nevertheless great bars!!!

The first one is from the Seymour auctions and the second one some years ago from Tony Colson.....

enjoy and comment :beer:

Heiko

Heiko,

there are 182 possible soldiers you could be the owners of those medalbars.

The first one was a Feldwebelleutnant during WWI which means a sergeant in GSWA. The second was a Reiter or a Gefreiter in GSWA. The first one might be traceable the second one definately not. Too many of those medals during WWI.

Bernd

I have never seen a Silver Merit Medal given by Friedrich II. for Colonial service post 1908, but I guess there were as well some (say five, ten or twenty). If one of those was awarded another one in Word War I, he might have worn the SAME medal twice. :o Has anyone ever seen a Friedrich II. in silver on Karl Friedrich ribbon, awarded for colonial service? Rick, Heiko, Werner maybe?!

I have seen both types, but not on MKF ribbons, usually, one is on peace-time statute ribbon. I have also seen both gold & silver, but again, both on statute ribbon.

Thanks - no problem with those ordinary peace time ribbons ... ;)

Nobody knows when the change in medals between Friedrich I and Friedrich II happened. I think that there was no change until 1909. In 1907/08 they still used the Friedrich I ones and beginning 1910 the first Friedrich II were awarded. I?m talking about the MKF-ribbon decorations.

Thanks Bernd. According to Holzmann, the change was in 1908, after Friedrich I. died in September 1907. I cannot image they just changed the peace time medals and still awarded the older ones for "colonial bravery". The problem is just that they must be d*mn rar and we did not yet notice one, aaand: there are many around with Friedrich II. medal and as well China or Southwestafrica, but these Friedrich II. have to be for WWI, of course. There wasn't to much bravery in Colonies after 1907, was it? :P