News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kingdom of Bulgaria: Order of SS. Cyril and Methodius

Instituted: 18 May 1909.

Collar:

Edit: Lukasz tells me that this is the Greater Collar, worn only by the King of Bulgaria. There is another 'Lesser Collar' which was worn by everyone else.

Edited by Megan

Hi Megan pretty stunning piece, it was of course also awarded by the People's Republic of Bulgaria from 1945 as the Order of Cyril & Methodius (The SS saintly description was dropped) and had a completely appearance, Does Bulgaria still award it now? (Post communist) and if so what appearance does it take?

regards

Alex K

I do have pictures of the People's Republic version, and when they go onto the website I'll put them in the appropriate place hereon. Medal on a pale blue ribbon, if memory serves...

There is some evidence, circumstantial to be sure, that the current regime awards something, with a collar/chain similar to the lesser chain... I think Lukasz has a picture if only the dear soul will let me use it! But just what it is awarded for, and if it has a sash & star to go with the collar I do not know. Yet.

Out of curiosity have they reverted to the pre-communist design for the badge or don't you know?, As with the fall these regimes, decorations and symbolism seems to fallen out of favour

regards

Alex

Once again Carol I thanks for the speedy reply and link, It seems to me that despite the possible uncertainty over it being an existing Royal House Order or a newly "Adopted Post Communist" award it has lost it's Communist look, which I thought it may do, break with the past etc etc.

regards

Hi Ed I'm a little confused about what you mean?

regards

The difference between awards given by a legitimate State and by a long-deposed "royal" house that thinks that still have any legitimacy or authority. Fantasy, but it happens.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

So in effect "Royal House Order" versions of awards given, mean only something to those that give and receive! In a state that has basically abolished Royal Dynasties

regards

When large amounts of money change hands, as they usually do, I'm sure they mean a great deal to those who receive these funds.

Obviously, they must mean something to those who pay also.

For us? A historical curiosity?? Anything more??

The reason we lot need to keep track of them - and private-purchase commemoratives - is that they look like medals, so need to be documented so that future observers know what they are.

Correct, of course, Megan. But we do need to make a clear distinction between these and legitimate awards. In the same sense we need to "study" and record the flood of crass-commercial "commemorative medals", all those pesky German carnival "orders", and even order-like costume jewlery.