News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Pluribus:

Good observation, I was thinking the same thing. It does look like St. Stanislaus Order ribbon. Would any of our other Imperial Russian Order collectors care to comment?

If it IS St. Stanislaus, this would be a very unusual group.

Good observation Saschaw a Grecian award would make more sense politically.

Best regards,

"SPM"

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Huh!

A military pair...

neither an 1897 Centenary Medal (if a Prussian) nor a 1905 Luitpold Jubilee Medal (if a Bavarian)...

so from around 1900, either way a few years.

Definitely a Russian St Stanislaus 3rd Class.

Now, what is interesting, and causing me to waffle on specifics, is that the bar would NOT have belonged to a Bavarian alive after 1905-- he'd have updated with the Luitpold Jubilee. And if a Bavarian recipient had died befoe 1905-- the MVO would have been returned to the Orders Chancery.

But my best guess would be a dead NON-Bavarian recipient who never returned the MVO. No way of knowing if the Stanislaus was officially returned or removed last week. But the lack of any OTHER awards on this bar, with that early model Bavarian MVO, would lead me to think pre-1897 and dead before then. It wouldn't be at all common to find that as a lone German military officer's award.

Hauptmann Polst of Inf Rgt 52, here circa 1905, also died before the war:

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something exotic that I had overlooked. Unfortunately I didn't win the auction, but a good one for the photo archive!

Steve with the Saint Stanislaus it would be a bit exotic & the order is fairly common to find. The Bavarian Military Merit Order knight 2nd class is more rare. Thanks for the foto always neat to see a beautiful example.

Sincerely

Yankee