News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Distinci?n "Rafael Mar?a de Mendive"

Stogieman

Distinci?n "Rafael Mar?a de Mendive"

For 25 Years of Service in Education.

(assume this means at all levels, but there are multiple instances of college-level instructers receiving actual orders)

Ribbon example below:

• 3 months later...

Awarded by the Sindicato Nacional de Trabajadores de la Educaci?n, Ciencia y el Deporte (National union of Workers of the Education, Science and Sport) for 25 years service.

Eddie.

• 4 months later...

This one seems to be a first. Notice the changed trade union emblem on the reverse of my example of this Distinci?n. Possibly the Union changed it's name at some time.

Edited by Taz

After doing a little research on the SNTECD site, it happens that the Union changed its name from first the SNTE (National Union of Workers of Education), then SNTEC (National Union of Workers of the Education and Science) and later SNTECD (National Union of Workers of the Education, Science and Sport).

Because of the fact my example has SNTEC and not SNTECD we can derive that it is an earlier Medal.

Regards Eddie

Edited by Taz

Yup Rick :jumping:

After checking the other Distinci?ns in my collection they have the same Trade Union Emblems that have been posted.

Sooner or later we will have to start naming these awards.

Shall we for now call these two the Distinci?n "Rafael Mar?a de Mendive" Types 2 (SNTEC reverse) and 3 (SNTECD reverse),

In time I'm sure we can determine if there was a Type 1 (SNTE reverse). Or would it be better Distinci?n "Rafael Mar?a de Mendive" Variations 1 (SNTC reverse), 2 (SNTC reverse) and 3 (SNTECD reverse)?

Regards Eddie.

• 3 weeks later...

The Man behind the award

Rafael Maria de Mendive was a Cuban author, born in Havana in 1821; died in 1886. He was educated in his native city, and began to cultivate literature from early youth. In 1845 he published a literary newspaper named "Flores del Siglo," and in 1847 a collection of his poems with the title of " Pasionarias." They were of a romantic character, and obtained wide recognition. From 1848 till 1852 he travelled in Europe, and, after returning to Cuba, founded the "Revista de la Habana," one of the best reviews in Spanish America. In 1869 he was banished from Cuba on account of his liberal opinions. He resided alternately in New York and Nassau, New Providence, where he wrote several legends and tales in verse, but in 1878 he returned to Cuba. Mendive is considered one of the best of Spanish-American poets, and many of his poems have been translated into English, French, and Italian. He has published, associated with three other writers, a book of poems called "Cuatro Laudes" (1856). A new edition of his poems was published by the Spanish critic Don Manuel Cafiete (Madrid, 1860), and other editions have appeared (Havana, 1861 and 1884). He translated Moore's "Irish Melodies" in verse (1863).

• 3 months later...