News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Can anyone identify the branch of service ?

Hello Gents,

I've come across this picture of a Belgian whom I think served with the US forces during WWI. It would interest me to learn more about what unit and/or branch of service he served with at the time.

First the picture itself :

And some details :

- shoulder patch

- collar button

- jacket button

- medal ribbons, my guess on these :

US Victory Medal with two stars indicating bars received,

French Croix de Guerre

US Medal for the Occupation of Germany

Underneath the ribbon bar is a device with US on it ... a discharge badge perhaps ?

Looking forward to your reactions & Cheers,

Hendrik

I don't know what the shoulder patch designates, but his collar insignia shows that he is in the Quartermaster Corps.

The insignia was once jokingly explained to me as an eagle that cannot fly perched on a wheel that cannot turn, along with a sword that will not cut and a key that has no lock! :rolleyes:

Hendrik,

You might want to take a closer look at the ribbons. The US WWI Occupation of Germany medal (and ribbon) wasn't created until November 1941. Unless this is a post-WWII image of an old vet in his WWI uniform... possible I suppose.

The pin below the ribbons is too blurry for my old eyes, but it doesn't look like a US WWI discharge pin. They were circular, in bronze or silver (wounded). This one seems more like a commemorative pin, or something from a vet's organization.

Also, can you mention why you say he's a Belgian with US Forces?

Firemedals

The US WWI Occupation of Germany medal (and ribbon) wasn't created until November 1941. ... Also, can you mention why you say he's a Belgian with US Forces?

Gents,

Many thanks for the identification ! :beer:

Firemedals : you are 100 % right of course ... must be another medal's ribbon there ! The man in the picture is a Belgian who a few years prior to WWI had emigrated to the US; his name is Henri Van den Borre.

Cheers,

Hendrik