News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

South African Militaria - pre unification

David S

Not a lot of items, but interesting nonetheless

We'll start with some epaulets for a Chaplain (Army I guess).

The small cloth item looks to be a sew-on for the sleeve . . .maybe. If somebody knows please let me know.

Edited by David S

• 1 month later...

The next belongs to the South West Africa Territorial Force.

The rank is for Sergeant.

Hi David,

The first is rank slip ons for South-African army nutria, the loose badge is for step out tunic collars. The rank chevrons is 1950's Union Defence Force. The red backing indicates a Royal Regiment ( Royal Natal Field Artillery etc) and the last is a SWA WO1 badge

Johan

• 2 years later...

Hi Johan,

Sorry have to disagree with you on the strips, the era is about right: the UDF/SADF used the deep (German style) from the 1950’s to late 1970’s, changed from the “British” shallow rank strips after the National Party came into power in 1948. In the late 70’s they changed back to the shallow (British style) strips. But the red backing was worn by the Corps of Military Police NCO’s during that time, I think they reverted to the normal SA Army color backing when the stripes changed in the late 70’s. The SWATF WO1 badges was worn with brown backing by normal WO1’s, with green backing by RSM’s, black backing by Command Sgt/Maj’s and a Black backing with an additional diamond above my the Sgj/Maj:SWATF.

Neville

QUOTE(David S @ May 5 2007, 02:13 ) The next belongs to the South West Africa Territorial Force.

The rank is for Sergeant.

Hi David,

The first is rank slip ons for South-African army nutria, the loose badge is for step out tunic collars. The rank chevrons is 1950's Union Defence Force. The red backing indicates a Royal Regiment ( Royal Natal Field Artillery etc) and the last is a SWA WO1 badge

Johan

QUOTE(David S @ May 5 2007, 02:13 ) The first is rank slip ons for South-African army nutria, the loose badge is for step out tunic collars.

Johan

Sorry to have to disagree on the chaplain's badge. The loose badge was also for nutria shoulder slip-ons - in the days before the slip-ons were manufactured complete with rank badges. Chaplains wear violet gorget patches on their lapels - have done since at least 1956. The triangular badge with the XP monogram dates from 1968.

Good subject - the past disappears so quickly and who will remember all of this in twenty years time. The slogan for the Society for the Preservation of Militaria - who are now S.A.'s only militaria club - is - 'Preserving the Past for the Future'. That's our 'job' as well....

I have a question on the chevrons - didn't the Medics also have a red background ? I have a collector looking for corporals chevrons to medics - if anyone can help ?

A suggestion - we all know it's not possible to show pictures of every item of equipment - but with the shop stock to help - how about we add to this thread and try to show as many badges and uniforms as possible ? I would think in order for it not to be confusing that we should have separate threads or, postings for each set of units equipment and badges. What do you all think - it would have to be a joint effort from all of us - but when it was finished there would be a comprehensive listing - and of items that don't always make it into ref. book like Col. Dudley Wall's or, Colin Owens.

** Have just seen your post Chris - great minds think alike ! I didn't realise this was started in 2007 - is David still a member, I don't recall seeing posts ?

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

Hi Mervyn,

As far as i know the Medics, when they were still part of the SA Army (up to 1979) wore the same chevrons as the Army. After 1997 they became a seperate arm of service and had maroon chevrons. Can you give me more information on the "Society for the Preservation of Militaria ", I would be interested in joining.

Neville

I know what it is... but maybe for the rest of the world... define NUTRIA?

Hi all

Nutria was the brown combat uniform worn by SADF soldiers up to about 1996 when it was replaced with camouflage uniform. Hope that explanation helps. I will see if I can find a photo to post

Norman

Edited by NPGilbert