News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Recently bought this seamans book, mili?rpass with cover and some assorted docs to this guy who was an electrician on passenger liners before WW1.... He had served in the 4 telegraph bataillon, then transfered to the naval reserve in 1907... they just slapped a new cover onthe milit?rpass.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know what the US did with interned German seamen? were they allowed to go home? he had his papers with him so would have been recognisable as a reservist... did that count as a soldier to be interned, or was he still a civvie as he was not in uniform?

No further entries in the book....

No idea what happened to the crews, but much that was on these ships was removed when they were refitted. I have a set of navy landing troops gear taken off of one of these interned ships. At one time, the Philadelphia shipyards stored a host of military items taken off of these ships. Another item I saw from this stuff was a beautiful pair of brass navy flare pistols in the original wooden case. Neat stuff!

Chip

• 10 months later...

Chris,

Since we were not at war in 1914, I would not think we would have interned the ships or their crew/passengers. When we entered the war in 1917, German ships were in U.S. ports and were seized. I would think any military personnel on board at that time would have been locked up.

Chip