News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Forum members. Attached is a Prussian 25 year LS Decoration. From 1st appearance it looks to be in presteigne condition. However when looked at VERY closely, there are some small areas and spots of verdigris appearing which indicates that it is of bronze and gilt plated, "No maker mark visible,) with the surface finish wearing off in some small areas.

In order to prevent further deterioration and save it in it's best condition for future custodians, how would members think of preserving it.

Vaseline, WD40, Nail varnish, Tomato ketchup! Laquer,

The medal is kept in a stable temperature and moisture environment but i would be most unhappy if after all the efforts, it still got worse.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

regards

Alex

Hello Alex K:

Don't panic. There is nothing so terrible that it detracts from the appearance or value of the piece. I suggest that you don't apply anything to it as this could cause bigger problems. Being as old as it is, a little bit of verdigris is expected and not a problem.

You blokes over the pond always want to polish these bl**din medals or make them look new! ;)

It looks good. A nice piece. Congratulations!

Best regards,

"SPM"

Edited by Schie?platzmeister

Hi SPM, unless you look at it with a magnifying glass the spots are not noticeable. I accept that given the age, that some deterioration will occur. It would be nice to ensure that wherever possible it didn't deteriorate further. After all, it may be in my collection, for now but eventually it will pass to someone else. these are historical artifacts which need to be preserved and protected, (No different in my opinion to ancient egyptian, Greek or Roman, pieces, the time scale may be different but they are still a piece of history).

Personally I AM reluctant to mess with any pieces in my collection and at the moment will keep an open mind and a (careful eye) on their condition. Thanks for the input. I raised the question as it has been raised many times before by others who see parts of their collections suffer physical deterioration and wish to delay or prevent the obvious.

regards

Alex

Hallo Alex, :beer:

my own thoughts would be to leave it alone, its got this old without showing any major signs of deteriaton and probably will for another 100 years +

There will always be an interaction between the composite metals of the cross and the air, and as you have stated:

The medal is kept in a stable temperature and moisture (free?) environment.

So its in good hands, the ribbon should be kept out of direct sunlight and spotlight to prevent bleeching of the dye used to colour it.

Also be careful of keeping it in plastic zip-lock bags for storage unless they are the amonia free plastic types.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Guest Rick Research

It is is superb condition as most of these are. Do not do ANYTHING to it.

The gilding which was applied to these has a MATTE finish, with only the edges polished. Anything added to its surface or scrubbed on, far from "preserving" it with RUIN the original matte gilding.

You will then have junk.

Thanks for the comments gentlemen. I tend to keep most of my pieces out of direct sunlight and enclosed in "Shoe boxes :wacky:, some I have in wall diplays purely for decoration in my "Collecting room". but these tend to be displayed without the ribbons which are kept separately. What does concern me is that Kevin mentions plastic folders, thats what I tend to use. how do I know they are ammonia free?

regards

Alex

Thanks for the comments gentlemen. I tend to keep most of my pieces out of direct sunlight and enclosed in "Shoe boxes :wacky:, some I have in wall diplays purely for decoration in my "Collecting room". but these tend to be displayed without the ribbons which are kept separately. What does concern me is that Kevin mentions plastic folders, thats what I tend to use. how do I know they are ammonia free?

regards

Alex

Alex, :beer:

not sure how to tell if your current plastic folders / zip-lock bags are Amonia free as I dont know what type you used.

If in doubt and you know the Brand-Name, I suggest you ask your Supplier, or contact the company direct.

Or, if that fails when buying replacements look for the brand which states "Ammonia Free Plastic" on the label.

Ammonia Plastics have two effects gradual leeching of the colour on the ribbons, and a reaction with the metal over a long period. :o

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Thanks for the quick reply. I think just to be sure, I will gradually replace my existing ones with ones I know to be safer. The type I use are just little packets with a flip over lip which slots into a plastic bar on the back, Sorry no photo, at work at the moment.

Edit, it's a small world

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=18183

regards

Alex

Edited by Alex K