News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Banner der Arbeit varieties

Hi all:

To call my collection of DDR awards a collection would be generous to say the least (all I have are these two decorations and a cased Medal "K?mpfer gegen den Faschismus"). However, I did want to show two varieties of the Banner der Arbeit as I have not seen any good explanations as to the varieties. From what I have been able to find from various sources, the major varieties are thus (and I would LOVE commentary on this if any of this is incorrect):

One class (1950-1974) ? no indication of class on ribbon

? Type 1 ? Numbered on reverse, ribbon on wreath enameled, 1954-1959

? Type 2 ? Unnumbered, ribbon on wreath enameled, 1959-1968

? Type 3 - Unnumbered, ribbon on wreath painted, 1968-1974

1st Class (1974-1989)

? Type 1 ? Smooth reverse, 1974-1989

? Type 2 ? Finely pebbled reverse, 1974-1989

? Type 3 ? Coarse pebbled reverse, 1974-1989

? Type 4 ? Enamel is now paint, polyester ribbon, roughly pebbled reverse, 1989

2nd Class (1974-1989)

3rd Class (1974-1989)

Here are the two examples in my collection, both third class. The one on the left is a smooth reverse and the one on the right is a fine pebbled reverse. From the front, they appear almost identical, though it is worth noting that the oak leaf spray at the top on the smooth pebbled reverse is twice as thick as on the pebbled reverse version.

It's worth noting that both came cased: the smooth reverse one is in a rounded corner box with a black interior and the pebbled reverse one in a red interior fitted case.

Edited by Eric Schena

Nice thread, Eric. Thanks for this. the BdA is one of my friends.

The breakdown you have given, is essentially, what Bartel shows, though maybe we could do for his classifications what we have done elsewhere for Battushig's Mongolian nomenclature. I think your dates are the same as his (need to check), but, again, maybe we can do better.

If no one beats me to it, I shall bring my specimens on home leave and add some scans.

Thanks again! :jumping:

Actually, to clarify from Bartel:

Single-class:

? Type 1 ? Numbered on reverse, ribbon on wreath enameled, suspension 39.0 x 38.2 mm, 1955-19??

? Type 2 ? Numbered on reverse, ribbon on wreath enameled, suspension 41.8 x 36.8 mm, 19??-1959

? Type 3 ? Unnumbered, ribbon on wreath enameled, banner with narrow striations, 1959-1968

? Type 4 ? Unnumbered, ribbon on wreath enameled, banner with broad striations, 1969

? Type 5 ? Unnumbered, ribbon on wreath lacquered, banner with broad striations, 1970-74

? Type 6 - Unnumbered, ribbon on wreath painted, suspension 36.8 x 36.3 mm, 1975

Three-class:

? Type 1 ? Smooth reverse, 1974-19??

? Type 2 ? Finely pebbled reverse, 19??-1989

? Type 3 ? Enamel is now paint, polyester ribbon, roughly pebbled reverse, 1989

(And someone with a better technical German vocabulary than I might do better than this??)

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Thanks, Ed, for the clarification from Bartel - this is exactly the info for which I was hoping to get. I don't have a copy (a deficiency in my library that needs to be rectified...as soon as I can find one). Since I've not yet seen any serious discussion of the varieties, I am really looking forward to see what you bring forth :cool:

If I can get some decent scans, I'll post the cases in which these came. I have to say that I like the smooth reverse version - seems somewhat better made.

Cheers,

Eric

The type of pin catch on the back also aids in identifying age. The medal with the rolling lock catch is earlier than the one with the U shaped catch which normally indicates last issue medals from 89-90. Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this thread died fast. Too fast. Here are a few of mine to breathe soime life back into it, I hope.

First class, Bartel type 6h (19??-89), cased but no document :(

Edited by Ed_Haynes

This one is also cased and, very interestingly, documented, to Liane Neumann. While (being unnumbered) you can never be 100% sure that these match, this could place this badge to a 1 May 1984 award.