News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ground Combat Badge - Possibly..............

Assmann?? I picked this badge up a little while back and I found that it is really tough to identify as it really doesn't conform to another maker IMO. The hinge and catch look to be of the Assmann variety, as does one other anomoly - those small striation lines found on the reverse, just like the zinker Assmann Flak Badges. I looked for the little "A" all over this puppy and came up empty - definately unmarked. Bummer! Just posting it here for thoughts. I have not seen these striations on any other makers zinc badges, just on some Assmanns. What do you guys think? Here's a couple of pics.

ERIC

An interesting piece, Eric. I?ve seen these around and always thought, going on the badges now attributed to them, S&L. The Hinge/catch could fit the Assmann type, although firms such as Osang and Juncker used similar hardware. It?s the lack of sloppy soldering that steers me away from the Assmann theory.

As an example of this generic catch hinge system used by the makers of the day, I?ve put together a compilation of the following; left to right.. Osang - your badge - S&L.

As can be seen, all the Hinges/catches have been attached without any spillage of solder.

When it comes to Assmann? Most zinc badges, if nor all, have the tell tale excessive/sloppy soldering.

Not proof positive, by any means, but perhaps another maker to consider.

Here are a couple of zinc badges showing typical Assmann soldering.

Para.

Hi JTW,

Thanks for your comments as always! I do indeed see what you mean regarding the excessive soldering - I honestly didn't even factor that in! :speechless: The thing that actually steered me toward the Assmann theory was those striations - I've not seen this on anything but zinc Assmanns. Yes, the hardware on mine is definately a generic type used by many at that stage of the war, but these striations, along with the fact that when my badge is compared wreath wise to the known makers (and even to unmarked, unknown makers) it seems unique. We've not attributed a specific GCB to Assmann yet, but seeing as though they made what seems like everything else in the Luftwaffe series, you would think a GCB has to be in their mix SOMEWHERE. Here's my badge with a Juncker and an Osang with the similar hinge setup. Also seen is a remarkedably different left "window" in the clouds, so I'm sure it's not one of these manufacturers. OK, I guess for arguements sake we can call it a possible S&L, but those striations......AAAAHHHHH. I need to find another like this!! (Hopefully marked in some way!!!)

ERIC