News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My latest confusion stems from these two F?rstentumer. Initially they shared the Ehrenkreuz and then decided to split the Hausorden into two distinct orders for the individual principalities. Think I understand that...

I believe that they both had orders for Kunst & Wissenschaft that were distinct as well ? Lippe?s being the Lippische Rose & Shaumburg?s simply the Orden f?r Kunst und Wissenschaft.

Where I am uncertain is two orders ? first the Bertha-Orden, a Damen-orden, was it shared or solely used in one or the other?

More important ? for me ? is the Leopold-Orden. Was it solely awarded in Lippe-Detmold or in both. I understand that it was intended for merit (Verdienst) for both civil and military service but do know under what circumstances ? attainment of high rank ? especially outstanding performance? Was it awarded with swords? Was it employed during the Great War? Any insight would be appreciated.

Guest Rick Research

You are correct. Bertha and Leopold were ONLY in Lippe-Detmold.

The Leopold was a bit odd. Most peacetime appearances seem to be as a second award to military personnel who already had a House Order that couldn't be "seconded" in the grade they were authorized. Not all, so there goes THAT out the window. No better answer than that. I'd say as a lone first award, it was intended to be a "higher" award than the relevant House Order, just based on rarity.

Price guides list three medals grades of the Leopold with swords during the war, then state "never awarded." rolleyes.gif I've never seen ONE.

Lippe had no regulations for precedence, which makes even GROUPS hard to judge as to "relative merit." Also, unique among the German states, the teenaged princelings received MERIT CROSS GRADES of their papas' House Orders (as if they were Sergeants-Major) and not the usual "Grand Cross at 10" stuff... making for some exceptionally WEIRD Royal Lippe medal bars! --->

[attachmentid=8907]

This one is in an English collection, and I hope the owner (I haven't been in touch in several years-- he used to have it posted on his website) won't mind me posting it, since it was my late guru who IDENTIFIED the Princeling whose it was, based on the TRIPLE lifesaving awards (Lippe, Prussia, W?rttemberg). Just illustrative of the Weirdness Of Lippe.

post-160-1124637945_thumb.jpg

Excellent!

Just what I was looking for except the parts I should have been able to figure out by myself?

The Nimmergut price catalogue makes much of this clear.

Thank you Rick ? once again - for enlightening this novice.

Beautiful medal bar!

Wow, TRIPLE Lifesaving-Medal. This was for sure a Lifesaving-Maniac  cheeky.gif

"Ahhh, damnit, noone drowning today"  tongue.gif

The two scenarios that come to mind for me:

1. The head chef in the Lippe-Detmold royal household left a little something to be desired. This particular prince knew the Heimlich maneuver.

2. "Oh, thank you for the Band-Aid your Excellency."

tongue.gif

Edited by landsknechte

• 3 months later...