News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ribon Bar from General Friedrich Materna

• 1 month later...

Hello Gentlemen,

I found this picture in Axis Biographical Research.

Anyone know the decorations showed in Ribon bar ??

Thx in advance

Regards

I can say for sure that most appear to be Austro-Hungarian awards but I can't tell which.

I'll bet someone here will have the answers shortly.

Alexandre,

discounting General Materna's Repulblic of Austrian Awards, he held the following awards and decorations in 1936:

Order of the Iron Crown 3rd Class with War Decoration & Swords

Military Merit Cross 3rd Class with War Decoration & Swords

Silver Military Merit Medal on the Ribbon of the Military Merit Cross

Bronze Military Merit Medal on the Ribbon of the Military Merit Cross with Swords

Austrian Red Cross Decoration 2nd Class with Swords

Officers' Long Service Decoration 2nd Class

Austrian War Commemoration Medal

Military Jubilee Cross

Prussian Iron Cross 2nd Class

Prussian Red Cross Medal.

Regards

Glenn

Alexandre,

discounting General Materna's Repulblic of Austrian Awards, he held the following awards and decorations in 1936:

Order of the Iron Crown 3rd Class with War Decoration & Swords

Military Merit Cross 3rd Class with War Decoration & Swords

Silver Military Merit Medal on the Ribbon of the Military Merit Cross

Bronze Military Merit Medal on the Ribbon of the Military Merit Cross with Swords

Austrian Red Cross Decoration 2nd Class with Swords

Officers' Long Service Decoration 2nd Class

Austrian War Commemoration Medal

Military Jubilee Cross

Prussian Iron Cross 2nd Class

Prussian Red Cross Medal.

Regards

Glenn

No Karl-Truppen-Kreuz in the list or on the ribbon bar. What did Materna do during WW1? Staff officer away from the front?

Dave,

Materna was a General Staff Officer. It would appear that the KTK was not universally awarded even to those holding quite prestigious decorations like the EKO. A look at the 1918 k.u.k. Rangliste shows that hardly any of the general Staff officers, many highly decorated did not have the KTK.

Regards

Glenn

Dave,

Materna was a General Staff Officer. It would appear that the KTK was not universally awarded even to those holding quite prestigious decorations like the EKO. A look at the 1918 k.u.k. Rangliste shows that hardly any of the general Staff officers, many highly decorated did not have the KTK.

Regards

Glenn

It surprises me that many GSOs could not have arranged enough close-to-front time to qualify for the KTK. But maybe that is part of the prestige for the KTK among Austro-Hungarian veterans after the war, as proof they were Frontsoldaten, not enjoying the pampered luxury of an officer's mess well behind the front.

My only Austro-Hungarian officer's group has an Iron Crown, Golden Bravery Medal with "K", MVK, bronze MVM, KTK and Austrian WW1 Commemorative. I would assume a platoon leader/company commander group, too junior for a 1908 Jubilee.