News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the White lion Czech

Hi another one in my collection, the Order of the White Lion, 3rd class commander. I havn't really given this one much thought as it was a passing purchase. That being said it is extremely well made and must have been labor intensive with the individual shield enamelling on the reverse. I don't normally get to worried about values of these pieces, but the reason for asking is that I have seen one on a dealers web-site for an unbelieveably high price, albiet the military version, (Mine is civil), therefore, as as matter of interest does anyone have an opinion as to what these are likely to be worth in reality??

thanks

Alex K

post-2879-1182887272_thumb.jpg

Hi Kevin, I agree, since the dealer is asking a four figure GBP price :speechless1: !!, which seems a lot higher than I paid, I did buy mine a few years ago, but mine cost a tenth of that.

regards

Alex

Hi Alex. One such civilian commander's badge in good condition sold for $1.200 plus buyer's costs in New-York in January 2007 (Galerie Numismatique sale, n?068).

These badges seem to attract attention far more than they used to. After all, this 1st type was only awarded for less than 20 years.

Hope this proves useful. Regards

Veteran

Hi gentlemen, thanks for the comments and info. The prices you've quoted have suprised me somewhat. I must admit that it is not one of those orders that is seen for sale a great deal, and interest in it must have increased. It must be rarer than I had previously thought. As I mentioned in my opening post, it was a chance purchase a number of years ago, when obviously prices and interest was far less.

Thanks and regards

Alex

Dear Alex,

The main reason that there has been a price increase in Czech insignia in general is that there a good number of collectors now in the Czech Republic with a fair ammount of disposable income. This particular order is also a most attractive and well made piece of insignia. (The market in Czech coins, Bohemian glass and metal work has also shown an extremely healthy growth). Until the late 90's It was an almost entirely western market and prices reflected this, similar trends are also occurring in the other former Soviet bloc countries, one only has to see how Bulgarian and other Eastern European OMD have risen in price of late.

All the best,

Paul

Hi gentlemen, thanks for the comments and info. The prices you've quoted have suprised me somewhat. I must admit that it is not one of those orders that is seen for sale a great deal, and interest in it must have increased. It must be rarer than I had previously thought. As I mentioned in my opening post, it was a chance purchase a number of years ago, when obviously prices and interest was far less.

Thanks and regards

Alex

Hi Paul, thanks, I certainly have seen a rise in other former eastern block countries!, I like Bulgarian, Hungarian, Romanian and Serbian pre-communist awards. Getting to the stage where a mortgage is now required for some of these, Glad I bought a fair number before it all came crashing down.

regards

Alex

I bought the following piece in February for $1000 US. Frankly, I think it was a bargain in today's market.

Order of the White Lion, Commander?s Cross for Civil (3rd Class) ? 1st Type, Neck badge, silver gilt, partially enameled, enameled suspension loop, hallmarked (900), maker?s mark ?KK? with original neck ribbon, Excellent condition

maybeeee one day, the point is, who do I leave them to?? :wacky: the wife n kids? they just think I'm odd and that they are pretty bits of tin, then some one comes along and says, "Not worth much, I'll swap them for this rare sewing machine" :speechless1:

Sleepless nights!!

regards

Alex

That's an easy question - I've just finished writing instructions to go along with my will for the medals to be sold at auction. I've already talked to Jeff Floyd, who has agreed to handle it. Just make sure you have a good listing, with as much detail as you have, so he can understand what you have.

It would be a shame not to do something like this if you have no collector you want to give them to. That way, your wife / kiddies may be amazed at what a clever investor you were.