News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The folks on the pickelhaubes forum suggested I post this here. I do not know one medal from the next.

bandmedals.jpg

bandmedals_1.jpg

Glenn gave this identification...

that is most probably the long serving Stabstrompeter of Feldartillerie-Regiment von Scharnhorst (1. Hannov.) Nr. 10, Obermusikmeister Eule. He is wearing the 1908-1912 pattern shoulder boards. Herr Eule had been the Stabstrompeter of FAR 10 from at least 1898-1911. He was awarded the Allgemeine Ehrenzeichen in Gold in the Ordensfest of January 1898 whilst holding the rank of Milit?r-Musikdirigent.

I would love to have some medal knowledgeable person explain this ribbon bar a bit -- with all those medals what did this guy do? Conquer France single-handedly with his band instrument? I always thought the American Air Force gave out a lot of medals but the sheer weight of this group of medals must have made it harder to keep straight. Thank You.

Guest Rick Research

This photo must date 1913+ since August Eule is wearing the long service cross introduced in that year. References below to 1908 are to his awards listed in the Orders Almanac of 1908/09.

Medal bar =

1) "Inhaberkreuz" of the Prussian Hohenzollern House Order (awarded pre-1908)

2) Prussian Verdienstkreuz (cannot tell if gold or silver-- awarded after 1908)

3) Prussian Cross of the General Decoration

4) General Decoration Medal (usually silver, which he did have, but replaced by this form since the Gold class Glenn mentions was stuill a medal until 1900)

5) Prussian XV years Service Cross M1913 (he had earlier held the XXI Years Service Brooch whi8ch ceased to be in that year)

6) 1870/71 War Medal for combatants with what looks like 3 (?) battle bars

7) 1897 Kaiser Wilhelm I Centenary Medal

8) Brunswick House Order of Henry the Lion-- one of the Verdienstkreuz grades (his 1908 entry incorrectly abbreviates for a Knight 2nd Class)

9) not one clue, me

Actually, I am amazed that with his 45 years or so of service, he did not have MORE awards, since Bandmasters usually got everything being handed out by visiting princes, and of course played at all royal birthdays and such occasions.

#1 is quite a deal, but perhaps not for somebody with his half century in

#2 is unusual, but again mostly because of his lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng service

#3 is quite normal for anybody at his level whether military or civil service, at about 40 years of service

#4 would be quite rare. And without Glenn saying he got the gold version, I'd assume it was the normal silver one that came routinely before #3

Unfortunately these guys are NOT in Rank Lists.

Charles,

he is an Obermusikmeister who ranked with but by 1914 was senior to the Feldwebel.

That appears to be "au?er Dienst" or retired Tresse on the shoulder end of the shoulder straps.

Regards

Glenn

That appears to be "au?er Dienst" or retired Tresse on the shoulder end of the shoulder straps

And presumably why Herr Eule is wearing 1908-1912 pattern boards in a post 1913 photograph.

Regards

Glenn

• 2 months later...

Komthur was kind enough to send me a copy of the Milit?r-Musiker Almanach of 1899 which gives some details on August Eule:

Born 17 July 1849 in Prettin, he entered the Garde-Artillerie-Regiment on 10 June 1867. Stabstrompeter from 1.11.76 and Milit?r-Musik-Dirigent from 21.9.89.

Regards

Glenn