News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French colonial awards

JBFloyd

Since 1946, the French colonies in the Caribbean have had metropolitan status, so I assume that residents of those natons would receive the same awards as a resident of Paris.

Prior to 1946, did any of the Caribbean colonies have their own series of awards (similar to those of the French Government in Indochina)?

Hello Jef

You are absolutely rignt. All inhabitants of the Carabean territories who are a part of France have identical rights with the citizens of metropolitan France. They are intitled therefore to all French awards and honors.

Since 1963, France has no more colonial awards or orders of any kind. Before 1946, the only difference that come to my mind, was that life-saving medals were under the responsability of the Admiralty (Ministere de la Marine) and later the Ministry of Colonies. The very complete array of awards found in Indo-China was only, and modestly, reproduced in the Colony of Madagascar, as far as I know.

The noteworhy award in the Carabean area was the special medal for the warders of the hard-labor establishment in Guyana (Devil's Island) called "Medaille d'honneur p?nitentiaire des colonies". It is very scarce.

Best regards

Veteran

The noteworhy award in the Carabean area was the special medal for the warders of the hard-labor establishment in Guyana (Devil's Island) called "Medaille d'honneur p?nitentiaire des colonies".

Hello Jeff & V?t?ran,

I think this is the medal you are referring to ... If so, I think its award was not limited to the Carribean only and that it could be earned by prison officers in other colonies as well. Is that correct ?

Cheers,

Hendrik

You are both quite right about the Colonial Penitentiary Medal. It is the one shown by Hendrik. And it was also awarded to wardens of the other large (and less known) establishment at Poulo-Condor in Indochina.

I mentioned this award when I answered Jeff's question, because Cayenne was the closest ex-colony where a special colonial medal was given. But it was also, and just as sparingly, issued in Indochina. Incidentally, I have never heard ot a named and dated medal - the reverse of the few I have ever come across always bore the motto : HONNEUR ET DISCIPLINE.

The planchets of the older medals were solid gold, but the medal is also found in silver-gilt and bronze gilt. I even have a obviously worn variety in bronze coupled with a Colonial Office medal for courage also in bronze, both mounted together with unofficial colonial medal bar GUYANE on each ribbon. I will get a scan if you are interested.

The last solid gold medal (with regulation silver wreath and lictor's axe suspension) that I recorded to have been offered on the market sold for $600 in ... 1994. Others may naturally have escaped my attention.

The question had a rather sweeping scope, and a detailed answer would probably have required more in-depth information. Nevertheless, one may consider that for the last 60 years +, the French territories in the Carrabean are on an equal footing with metropolitan France, when it comes to awards.

Very best regards to both

Veteran

quote name='JBFloyd' date='Jul 4 2007, 13:31 ' post='188756']

Thanks to both of you.

We recently sold a "Medaille d'honneur p?nitentiaire des colonies" named to a Vietnamese and dated 1929. That's part of what sparked the question.

Thanks to both of you.

We recently sold a "Medaille d'honneur p?nitentiaire des colonies" named to a Vietnamese and dated 1929. That's part of what sparked the question.

Yes their were specific medals for the Carribbean French Colonies, There was a medal issued by the Ministry of Navy and Colonies for the Encouragement of Agriculture, Napoleon III issue, for the Colony of Martinique. The example I handled was from the ANS, complete with original riband. (See ANS part III, lot 434).

Paul

As an adjunct to this topic, I submit this picture of the group described in my earlier message. I hope you find it of interest, it is the only one I have ever seen, the ribbons are faded from the sun on the obverse and have been dirtied by wear on the reverse.