News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 POW's British

Nick

I have a fascination with old military portrait photo's spanning from Victorian era to WW2. I recently picked this photo up and although it is not what I usaully collect I was very interested by the content of this photo.

The soldiers are obvioulsy mainly injured British/Commonwealth Soldiers but the mode of dress and the headgear worn by some of th esoldiers looks distinctly foreign. Also is the soldier in the background wearing a pikelhaube ?

POWs do you think ?

Nick

Edited by Chairman

• 4 weeks later...

For POW's they look pretty pleased with themselves! Hard to say. I suppose they probably are quite chipper that they're nowhere near the trenches. Can't really make out the headgear too well at the back, but yes, it certainly doesn't look British......

• 8 months later...

Here are more British prisoners, the reverse reads:

From Arthur x

To Miss ML Frankland

227 Caversham Rd.

Reading

England

I'm not sure about the cap badges being worn, does anyone recognise them?

Tony

• 2 years later...

Another picture of British prisoners.

- English prisoners being transported to the rear after storming Guillemont, beginning of September 1916 -

It must have been a warm day as one man appears to have a hanky on his head. Others are wearing their tin hat liner.

Tony