News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My first Japanese NCO "samurai" sword

lach470

Hey gang! I've posted this one on other forums too so you may have seen it already but I'm just so damn happy to have finally added one to my collection. This is my one and only Japanese piece (for now)....as I am a German militaria collector.

This is a nice NCO issued Shin-Gunto - govt. issued combat sword. Blade measures 27 inches and is in real good shape. No dents in the scabbard and matching numbers also. Handle is made of aluminum and does show wear but I'm more than happy with this piece!

Thought I'd post some pics. If any of the markings that I show mean anything to anyone - please let me know. I know one is an arsenal stamp but if you have more info - I'd love to hear about it!

Cheers gang!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Now you're talking swords! Very nice NCO's shin-gunto. I have one with the same mark on the blade and can not identify it. I suspect it is an inspection or acceptance mark as it is not one of the marks used by the arsenals, or at least not a common one. Are there any marks on the habaki (the brass sleeve before the guard)? This is where you will usually find the arsenal marks. Good to see the matching accountability numbers. It always amazed and even amused me somewhat that with the national movement to everything Japanese during this period that they would use a Western numbering system on the blade and scabbard.

Congrats on a very nice addition to your collection.

Cheers :beer:

Brian

Edited by Brian Wolfe

Hey Brian! Nice to hear from you! Glad you like it buddy! I'm quite psyched! Thanks for the info too! Cool to hear that your sword has the same stamp on the blade. Have you posted pics of your sword before? Nice to see that we're in the same province too - I'm close to Ottawa....where's New Hamburg?

Post some pics if you happen to have some! And I also agree that it is amusing to see Western numbers used during such a nationalistic era! Thanks for the thumbs up dude! Talk to you soon!

Oh yeah.....the only mark I found on the habaki is what looks like a drop with a flat bottom....does that ring a bell with you? I'll have to try and get a better picture of it.

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob,

New Hamburg is near Kitchener Ontario.

I have posted several photos of my collection under the edge weapons section, I believe. I must have been tired last night when I left the post as I said the marks are on the habaki. Actualy they are usualy on the copper band on the handle side of the guard. This is called the fuchi on the older swords.

I'll try to post some photos of my collection as a whole later.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Hey Brian....Yeah....I figured that was what you meant. That "flat drop" I was talking about is on the fuchi. Here's a pic....not the best but best I can do....I'm not even sure if it's a stamp or just a dent/scratch!

Let me know if that means anything to you!

Cheers!

Rob

I am just setting up a new room for my collection so it looks rather empty at the moment. I basically only have the Japanese swords out, it will take time to set up the room properly.

Here is some more of my small collection. The first photo was of the Army Officers pattern and the Naval Officer's pattern.

This photo is of the calvary swords (two patterns) from the Russo-Japanese War and the WW II NCO parade sword.

Brian

Edited by Brian Wolfe

Here are three more.

The top one is an original blade from the 1650s. I'll post that one in more detail on another day. The middle one is an original blade also from the 1650s with the hilt of the Rosso-Japanese War period. This one was posted earlier in detail.

The bottom one is my No-datchi. I don't think it is original as they quit making them in the 1390s. I will post this one in detail later with the hope someone can help with the identification.

I hope you liked my collection.

Cheers

Brian

Hi Rob,

I started to go through my reference material which is all over the house at the moment and I did find out something. The mark on your blade and mine may be the Koishikawa Arsenal mark which would place the manufacture of the blade before 1936.

I have included a photo of the marks on the fuchi of my sword. Reading from left to right the first mark is the Tokyo Arsenal mark, followed by that same mark on our blades (Koishikawa Arsenal?) and ending with the Osaka Arsenal mark. This sword was probably assembled in several plants resulting in the three marks. If anyone has more accurate information please enlighten us. The fuchi on your sword looks to be iron which I would think is a later assembly. The blade is marked the same as mine but as the war wore on copper was in greater demand so I would guess they switched to the iron fuchi when yours was assembled.

Also please note the difference in the tsuba (guard) yours is black iron and mine is brass. This would indicate that your sword was assembled later in the war. Your tsuba is more like the old original swords of ancient times, they were often black iron.

Forgive me if I sound off like an expert. I am not and my information should be "tested".

Thanks for giving me a reason to get back to research and playing with my swords again.

I love this hobby! And this great forum!

Cheers

Brian

Edited by Brian Wolfe

Hey Brian! Thanks for all that info dude! There's so much to learn. You're right...the fuchi on my example is iron - not copper. Cool that the blade might have been manufactured pre-36 and kept in storage until late 44 - or '45. That's pretty interesting info!

Now - your sword collection: SUPER WOW! That's an amazing assortment of blades that you have there! AWESOME man! Thanks for showing!! It's much appreciated! Looks like you got some real beauties there!

Thanks again Bri!!!!

Cheers!

Rob

Gentlemen,

Nice Katanas! I miss my Imperial Japanese Wakizashi! Though, I still have My 1928 Nambu Type 14, Arisaka T-38 Carbine with T-30 Bayonet, and Rayed Flag. I've grown to admire Imperial Japanese Miltaria more and more lately.

Regards,

Joel

Hi Cooldad,

That is one great "corner". I sold off my sword collection several years ago but held onto the Japanese blades. Once you own one (or more) you never look at edged weapons the same way again.

Very, very nice display.

Cheers :beer:

Brian