News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unidentified Knight's Cross Holder

Does anyone recognize this Knight's Cross holder? The photo is from the album of a crew member of U-441 however from the records I have, neither Klaus Hartmann or Gotz von Hartmann who both commanded this boat was awarded the Knight's Cross.

Any help would be appreciated.

Richard

I've been through all the U-Boat KC winners and can't see a definite match. Only one who bears some facial similarities ( strong chin, same shape nose and ears etc) and is the right rank is another Hartmann, Werner Hartmann.

I'll check through all the surface ship KC winners to see if any of them "fit".

Hello Richard,

the Knight?s Cross holder on the photo are Korvettenkapit?n Werner Winter.

He was from July 1942 to August 1944 cdr. of the 1st flotilla in Brest.

He died 1972 in Kiel.

Regards,

Monsun

Thanks Monsun. My picture definitely is the same fellow as in your picture. The only other picture I had of Winter was from the front and from that angle, I couldn't tell it was him. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Richard

The only other picture I had of Winter was from the front and from that angle, I couldn't tell it was him. Richard

Ditto. I'd have never made the connection from the photo I have. Amazing how deceptive photos can be.

Certainly fits though. When Winter relinquished command of U-103 to take up a shore posting, he became Flotillenchef of 1 U-Flotille in July 1942. U-441 moved from 5 U-Flotille to 1 U-Flotille in September 1942.

Winter became Korvettenkapit?n effective March 1943.

To get into the album of a crew member I suppose the photo must have been taken between March 1943 and before U-441 set off on her last voyage in June 1944.

Thanks for the information Gordon. I had the same "front-on" photo. I can see the resemblance now with the side view but would not have guessed that they were one and the same person.

This is a great group, with many helpful people, and has rekindled old interests. Thanks to one and all.

Dick