News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Stupid Red Banner question

Hypothetical:

1- Recipient awarded the RSFSR Red Banner.

2- Recipient then awarded the USSR Red Banner.

Question: Would (should, could) the second Red Banner have been a "2"?

Sorry, a stupid question, I know.

Hypothetical:

1- Recipient awarded the RSFSR Red Banner.

2- Recipient then awarded the USSR Red Banner.

Question: Would (should, could) the second Red Banner have been a "2"?

Sorry, a stupid question, I know.

Dear Ed,

yes, in any case with an RSFSR RB.

With an RB from other Soviet Republics EXCEPT the Russian one, the bearer could apply for getting an additional CCCP RB. In such an case he would have got another RB as the 2nd RB a #2.

I will show a scan of Timoshenko in the next post.

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus

Timoshenko - again :D

Dear Ed,

Marshal Timoshenko got an 4th RB during the GPW :jumping: .

Here is a photograph of 1945 showing all his RBs with consecutive numbers:

Christian

BTW: Does anyone have late photographs of Voroshilov & Budyonny with close-ups of their RBs :unsure: ?

Edited by Christian Zulus

"Victory Parade"

With an RB from other Soviet Republics EXCEPT the Russian one, the bearer could apply for getting an additional CCCP RB.

Dear Ed,

that statement from me is not so 100 % correct, because for the "Victory Parade" the old heros of the Civil War, like Stalin, Budyonny, Voroshilov, Timoshenko, etc., got r.i. CCCP RBs on the five-sided suspension, as we can see on photographs

Christian

BTW: I assume, that CCCP RB didn't start with s/n. 1, but with the s/n. following the last issued RSFSR RB :unsure: ?

Guest Rick Research

Not a stupid question at all, Ed. Aside from Very High Ranking Comrades, it SEEMS as if-- at least during the GPW when things were VERY messy regarding handing out awards--whether a numbered ORB was bestowed or not depended on whether the issuing authority HAD any to hand over.

I've got two "first" ORBs issued to the same officer 3 days apart (one "real" and one the gigantic first batch for long service). And we often--possibly more often than not--see groups with multiple "first" ORBs.

Even subsequent high rank did not necessarily result in retroactive "correction" with numbered ORBs-- here is Major General Gyorgy Petrovich Artemeev with THREE Red Banners:

two "firsts" and a "3." And this was taken 17 February 1960 as he was getting heaved out in Khruschev's "budget purge."

A quick flip through my photos reveals a WW2 Major General with a numbered ORB sandwiched between 2 "firsts," a 1959 Lieutenant General with 2 firsts and then a numbered ORB,, and three 1950s Colonels with: 3 firsts, 2 firsts, and a numbered followed by two firsts.

The unfortunate Guards Lieuetnant Colonel S, F. Kapustin, shown below in 1948, has an RSFSR and a screwback SSSR type "2"-- as well as the notation "arrested 1938" forever making him a Marked Man: