News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Estonia. ODM 1920-1940.

Dear Gentlemen,

I am starting a new topic which is dedicated to Estonian orders, decorations and medals from 1920-1940.

All the Estonian decorations are rare, I do not hesitate to say even extremely rare.

The most awarded of Estonian orders is Cross of Liberation War II class 3 grade, which was awarded in 2250 ex.

Other orders were awarded in 0-987 ex. Notable amount of Estonian ODM was abducted and destroyed by Soviet regime during the Soviet Russian occupation. Allmost all the high-ranking military (and President(died in prison in Russia and inhumed as unknown oldie with no cross on the grave) + most of the Government officials) were killed in Soviet concentration camps and their awards got stolen.

Therefore all awards you can see here are small in number remained witnesses of our history.

pluribus

Edited by pluribus

A Star of the Order of the Estonian Red Cross.

At first Estonian Order of the Red Cross existed as non-governmental civilian order but The Law on Decorations from Oct., 7th, 1936 converted it to the Governmental decoration in 5 classes + 3 medal classes.

A star was awarded 193 ex. in the period 1920-1940

The construction of the star is quite sophisticated. The rays are separate parts.

Edited by pluribus

Before 1936 (when the decoration was converted to the Governmental decoration) it was the Commemorative Decoration of the Estonian Red Cross.

This type of ribbon shows that this is II grade II step badge awarded 1926-1936 682 ex.

Hello Peter,

You have some fine medals in your collection.

The first one is 3 class Cross of Defence League (Home Guard was another organization). It was awarded ca 5000 ex. in 1930-1940. As much as I know I and II classes were never awarded in pre-WW II period.

Here is mine in case, marked Roman Tavast.

pluribus

Finally a suspect half-size of the Cross of Liberty (28.5x23.5mm). I assume this is a post-war piece.

As regards the mini Cross of Liberty I class, I have similar II class mini which is post-war piece.

On left- the first Red Cross medal. It was issued in 1920-25 in one class. After that the Red Cross decoration obtained the structure of an ordinary orden.

On the right- the III class of the 1925-1936 Red Cross decoration.

A total number of awardings with these two types was 507 ex.

Edited by pluribus