News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Estonia. ODM 1920-1940.

This thread, and the modern Estonian one, make fascinating reading. I do hope, 'Pluribus,' that you will be willing to assist when I update that section of my site. The connections between the 1920-40 Estonian decorations and the contemporary ones are fascinating - while many 'formerly communist' countries have turned to their heritage in establishing new orders, the Estonians give the impression that they are carrying on with a gap 1940-90s with the same orders.

Let`s go on with Red Cross.

One of the earliest decorations was a Commemorative decoration of ?hist?? organisation in three classes.

On Dec., 8th 1918 the Central Organisation of Homefront, "Common Task" (?hist??"), was established to co-ordinate all the activities out in the rear to support the front. They made even the armoured cars.

The decoration established in 1920 and awarded in 1921.

Here is a I class decoration : a Gold Badge with White Background on the Blue Ribbon ( such exactly was the name of the decoration).

Only 16 I class ex. awarded incl. to Prime Minister, later President K. P?ts, to commander-in-chief general J.Laidoner.

Edited by pluribus

OK, let`s move on to the military order.

The Order of the Cross of the Eagle.

It was instituted on the 10th anniversary of the the Republic of Estonian, on Febr., 24th 1928, to give recognition to the merits performed for services in the interest of Estonia or the Defence League.

The Order was converted to a governmental decoration in 1936 to give recognition to the services performed in the interest of state defence.

Here is a Star of the Order.

353 ex. awarded in 1928-1940.

I am now working on the Estonia 1920-40 section of my site.

Pluribus (or for that matter anyone else) - how should I structure the part about the Order of the Red Cross? If I read what you said here aright, it started off as a privately-organised Commemorative Decoration of the Estonian Red Cross, then in 1936 it became an official state order with the title Order of the Estonian Red Cross in 5 classes with 3 medals (gold, silver, bronze). Do you know what the structure of the Commemorative Decoration of the Estonian Red Cross, & did it use the same ribbon?

Hello Megan,

It was a decision of the Estonian Society of the Red cross to establish it`s own decoration in 1920.

The decoration consisted of one class in form of silver medal on a pentagonally (Russian style) folded ribbon.

It obtained the structure of an ordinary order in 1926 and consisted of five classes:

I grade of the I class- a star and a sash,

II grade of the I class- a star,

I grade of the II class- a neck-ribbon cross,

II grade of the II class- a chest cross.

The initial silver medal became to the III class.

The Law of Decorations from 1936 converted the Commmemorative Decoration of the Estonian Red Cross to the Governmental Decoration of the Estonian Red Cross.

The structure was changed again:

I class- a star and a sash

II class- a star and a neck-ribbon cross

III class- a neck-ribbon cross

IV class- a chest cross with rosette on ribbon

V class- a chest cross

I class medal- gold medal

II class medal- silver medal (similar to the initial silver medal of 1920 and to the III class of the 1926)

III class medal - bronze medal.

You can see in my previous posts which ribbons were in use.

1920 used totally different ribbon with wide white stripe in centre.

1926 and 1936 both used similar type of ribbon(with wide blue stripe in centre). Difference is in folding style.

pluribus

Medal of the Estonian Red Cross For Saving Life.

Scarce medal. This one is from Germany and it has a German-style ribbon. So I think it was awarded to the German person.

For example, only 12 medals were awarded in 1930. One of the recipients was Robert Paadam, a fireman on steamer Pakri, who saved a child`s life in Hull, GB.

Edited by pluribus