News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gravestone Marking

Mike

I visited my Dad?s grave this week and while driving through the Cemetery I noticed a Headstone with an upside down Square & Compass . Could this be for some Labor fraternity or Lodge modeled after the Blue Lodge ? I?ve never seen this before and that?s the only explanation I could think of because of the inscription .

Have any of you run into this before ?

Mike,

Between 1850 and 1950 there were dozens of fraternal organizations who modeled their ritual, secret signs...and insignia on the Freemasons. In order to keep peace, these groups made changes in the square and compass design so it wasn't an exact copy, but some were verrrrry close. The one I like is a group called the Junior Order United American Mechanics (JOUAM), the "mechanics" actually referring to almost anyone who worked as a craftsman, not just an auto shop employee. The JOUAM took the "G" from the center of the Masonic symbol and replaced it with a raised arm holding a hammer... that curiously looked just like a "G" to the average viewer.

I am not immediately familiar with the symbol you found, but it is one of those many groups. There are some that I don't think have ever been truly identified, as they died out and few records survived. I'll try to look through some of the references I have for more information. Perhaps some of the other members are familiar with it.

FireMedals

BTW - What is the shape in the center of the design?

Edited by FireMedals

I'm not sure what it is ...maybe a Carpenter's Wood Plane ? I remember seeing the JOUAM symbol and even know a Brother who was convinced that symbol was Masonic (which it is not) and represented an old forgotten branch of Masonry that protected the Lodge :rolleyes:

I tried telling him that we never had our own version of the "SA" ..but he wouldn't listen.

He even went so far as to have that JOUAM Symbol tattooed on his Arm.

He should have done his homework before he did that.

Here's the JOUAM logo in case someone

is wondering what it looks like -

Edited by Mike

O.K. ... a Carpenter's Wood Plane would fit in, as the "square" used in the logo is actually a carpenter's folding ruler, not a builders square. So this was (is?) probably a fraternal society of carpenters, woodworkers, etc.. Also possibly a union.

FireMedals

Given the motto on the folding ruler which loosely translated (with my dog Latin) "Work always wins" would suggest that it is almost certainly a craftsman's organisation. The person on the headstone was presumably a high ranking official of the organisation. Living in the UK I'm not sure how you can access Birth and Death certificates in the U.S. but if you are able to do so then this should help to go a long way towards resolving the mystery.

According to information I located on the Internt, Labor Omnia Vincit means "Labor conquers all things" and is the motto of the state of Oklahoma, numerous colleges, and the fomer labor organization The American Federation of Labor (AFL) which later merged to become the AFL-CIO. The emblem though, isn't the one shown for the AFL.

According to information I located on the Internt, Labor Omnia Vincit means "Labor conquers all things" and is the motto of the state of Oklahoma, numerous colleges, and the fomer labor organization The American Federation of Labor (AFL) which later merged to become the AFL-CIO. The emblem though, isn't the one shown for the AFL.

Thanks, my Latin at the best of times was somewhat rusty. I think the answer is to look up Mr Blomquist on census or registrar records, presumably his headstone bears the date of death.

All the best,

Paul

Unfortunately I didn?t take an overall shot of the Stone so I don?t have his full name or the dates. He?s buried in Fitchburg Ma and I might be back up there in a week ?I?ll try to get a few more pictures.