News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

military Baurat Louis Karl William Bode

Looking to research the above (red eagle 1905) also to ask what work a builder does, uniform, rank etc, as ever thanks

I think Rick Research can speak in detail on this, but IIRC a Baurat isn't a builder per se, but what we would call an installation manager today. Someone in charge of the builders and maintainers of military or other government buildings.

Edited by Dave Danner

Guest Rick Research

What Red Eagle? Do you have his 4th Class award document?

Per his 1908/09 Orders Almanac entry, he was born in 1853 (no day, month, or place, alas) and at that time was Intendantur- und- Baurat in Braunschweig. His only other award (not being a reserve officer) was the 1897 Centenary Medal. Beamten weren't eligible for regular long service awards until after the war, with that authorization of 1914 suspended for the duration.

Bode seems to have died between 1907 (alive and in same post) and 1911-- I have a gap in Rank Lists between the editions of 1907 and 1912, and he is GONE by 1912, with no wartime service. Anybody got Rank Lists for 1908, 1909, 1910, and 1911 to check death and retirement in the Milit?r Bau?mter sections for when and why he vanished?

Glenn's away presently, but he's got the uniform regulations and so on.

What Red Eagle? Do you have his 4th Class award document?

Per his 1908/09 Orders Almanac entry, he was born in 1853 (no day, month, or place, alas) and at that time was Intendantur- und- Baurat in Braunschweig. His only other award (not being a reserve officer) was the 1897 Centenary Medal. Beamten weren't eligible for regular long service awards until after the war, with that authorization of 1914 suspended for the duration.

Bode seems to have died between 1907 (alive and in same post) and 1911-- I have a gap in Rank Lists between the editions of 1907 and 1912, and he is GONE by 1912, with no wartime service. Anybody got Rank Lists for 1908, 1909, 1910, and 1911 to check death and retirement in the Milit?r Bau?mter sections for when and why he vanished?

Glenn's away presently, but he's got the uniform regulations and so on.

Rick, yes I have his award document, would he have joined for 1870 ? I am aware that war medals were not listed, Paul

Glenn checking in from the Tyrol :D

I don't have my stuff with me but a quick check on the laptop shows that the then Geheimer Baurat Bode died in 1912. As Dave rightly points out, a Baurat was a military official in the "property management" business with responsibility for non fortress militarv related construction and maintainance business. I will check him out on my return at the end of the month.

Regards

Glenn

Glenn checking in from the Tyrol :D

I don't have my stuff with me but a quick check on the laptop shows that the then Geheimer Baurat Bode died in 1912. As Dave rightly points out, a Baurat was a military official in the "property management" business with responsibility for non fortress militarv related construction and maintainance business. I will check him out on my return at the end of the month.

Regards

Glenn

Glenn, you are a star, many thanks, Paul

Paul,

literally just back home. A few facts on Geheimer Baurat Bode.

Garnison Bau-Inspektor: 1.4.87G. Awarded the charakter or brevet rank of Baurath on 25.5.95 as a Garnison Bau-Inspektor in Posen. Assigned to the Bauamt in Braunschweig on 19 April 1898 from Posen II.

Retired as a Baurat and Milit?r-Bauinspektor as the president of the Milit?r-Bauamt in Braunschweig on 20 January 1910. He was promoted in retirement to the character or brevet rank of Geheimer Baurat on 14 April 1910. He died on the 7th of January 1912.

An Intendantur- und Baurat with the charakter as a Geheimer Baurat wore the rank insignia of an Oberstleutnant.

Regards

Glenn

Paul,

literally just back home. A few facts on Geheimer Baurat Bode.

Garnison Bau-Inspektor: 1.4.87G. Awarded the charakter or brevet rank of Baurath on 25.5.95 as a Garnison Bau-Inspektor in Posen. Assigned to the Bauamt in Braunschweig on 19 April 1898 from Posen II.

Retired as a Baurat and Milit?r-Bauinspektor as the president of the Milit?r-Bauamt in Braunschweig on 20 January 1910. He was promoted in retirement to the character or brevet rank of Geheimer Baurat on 14 April 1910. He died on the 7th of January 1912.

An Intendantur- und Baurat with the charakter as a Geheimer Baurat wore the rank insignia of an Oberstleutnant.

Regards

Glenn

Glenn, good to se you back and hope you had a good time (find any goodies?) many thanks for the information great stuff, all I need is a photo :cheers: