News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Justice Official's pre-1942 Tunic

Hello,

A rather rarely seen tunic is presented, that of a Justice official in pre-1942 configuration. Prior to 1942 Justice officials/court baliffs wore "Justice" green tunics with carmine piping, hidden front buttons and gold fittings.

The cap shown with the tunic is that worn after 1942 by both Justice and Prison officials. In 1942 the carmine piping was dropped and both used green piping. The cap band is black. The pre-1942 cap would have had carmine piping. Unfortunately these have all been converted by dealers into Waffen SS piped panzer schirmmutzen, so the chances of finding one in original condition are next to nothing.

This tunic was worn with black breeches or trousers.

These tunics are unique in that NO sleeve eagle, arm band or any other "national" emblem was worn on the tunic. It is the ONLY TR period government official's tunic that I am aware of that did not incorporate any eagles or swastikas into the insignia (other than the small cap eagle and belt buckle).

Edited by W.Unland

A closer view of the front showing the typical "hidden" button closure.

These tunics had a color scheme unique in German tunics. It incorporated gold , green, and carmine, all on the same uniform. Very unusual, particularly the shoulder boards. Also notice how the boards sit in the "middle" of the shoulders and not along the sleeve seam......very unusual.

Edited by W.Unland

This tunic has some very unusual features. The collar is really an imperial style stand-up collar with artificial front to simulate a more modern style. The collar is sewn down and is off white burlap type of material, rather than lined in the tunic material as might be expected.

Lastly here is a closer view of the cap and tunic showing how closely the color of the materials match.

This color is unique to the Justice/prison services. Not quite "police" green, and not quite field gray.

Hello,

I don't know. Judges wore national eagles, and most of the political groups who didn't wore armbands. These are the ONLY armed branch of the government that I know of who wore no national emblem or swastika. Why??? Prussian tradition perhaps, or oversight. No idea, but even in the 1942 regulations there is NO eagle worn. Even the Post Office and Train conductors wore eagles, but not these guys.....and they carried guns!

I would have made a guess that somehow the "justice" ministry was "above" politics, but since judges wore eagles that doesn't make any sense.

Regards,

Bill Unland

Edited by W.Unland