News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EK Certificate and Soldbuch help needed

Hi

I have just received this little lot(includes the EK2) and would appreciate some help. This is the first Imperial Solldbuch I have handled and was wandering if it is complete. The reason i ask is that although there isn't any signs of missing pages it only has 16 full size pages? I would appreciate any information anyone can give me from the book or certificate.

Many thanks in advance

andy

Guest Rick Research

I've seen spelling discrepancies even with German names. The Pay Book has him as Musk Gefr Uffz JuNKrowski but his EK2 on 22.4.16 has him as Gefreiter JuNGKrowski of 7th Company Lorraine Inf Rgt 131. Signed by "v.Winning" but you've cropped off his rank there so don't know at what level the award document was made without going to flip through my references.

Born 27 September 1893 in Mroczno, district of L?bau. Catholic, farm laborer. Father dead, mother next of kin. Drafted 15.10.13 into the same company he was serving in when decorated with the Iron Cross.

I don't see any entries after 1916, so maybe he was killed or captured and these were taken from/off him? promotion to Unteroffizier suggests (normally) 4 years service and for a draftee, even in wartime, these promotions indicate rewards for good service beyond the usual.

Many thanks indeed that is exactly what I was looking for. These are the last couple of pages from the book. They look like they have been cut down in size. Does this tell us anything else after 1916?

Once again, many thanks

andy

The division in question was rated as "Suspect/undependable and sent to the Russian front (General Gaede did not trust Alsatians/Lorraine men.

The document print style is what I call an "Eastern Front" print style as they are founs ALMOST exclusively to Eastern Front units or units just returned from the east and still having stocks of these docs.

best

Chris

Guest Rick Research

Ah. There were 6 von Winnings.

Yours was Hellmuth, born in Strassburg 16.11.1874. Hauptmann 16.6.11 Y3y in Inf Rgt 138. Promoted to Major 18.6.17 (first of that date so no seniority suffix) and killed in action near Chaudun on 18 July 1918 with Infantry Regiment 17.

He was the last of the 3 sons of Generalleutnant aD Leopold von Winning, Senior (1841-1914) & Marie n?e von Reichenbach. Brothers Hasso (1877-1915) and Leopold Jr(1873-1917) were killed before him-- wiping that family out in the male line.