News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Showa Enthronement Medal

Tim B

I thought I read something somewhere here that these medals actually had two variations, with one being more recessed or deeply stamped than the other. I've searched back and forth but can't find what I read. Any help?

Tim

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the reference. Wish I could find what I was looking for as they were a bit more specific. Really hate it when you're looking for something and can't find it again. :banger:

I do have another one coming that appears to have gilt applied to it, so that will be interesting.

Tim

Unlike some of the earlier commemoratives (Constitution, Wedding Anniversary), there's no evidence that either Coronation was ever issued in gold/gilt. As Paul says, tarnish can be tricky.

As we've said before, the time draws near when we need a replacement reference book for Peterson (even in the 3rd edition).

Thanks guys! I was wondering IF it might just be toning or if it was one of these "others" that I read about somewhere.

Really didn't need a second one, but the toning looks great and it comes with the case and paper wrapper. The first one was just cased. Live and learn, but I'll be happy with it if the toning is really that great looking.

Thanks again!

Tim

Unlike some of the earlier commemoratives (Constitution, Wedding Anniversary), there's no evidence that either Coronation was ever issued in gold/gilt. As Paul says, tarnish can be tricky.

As we've said before, the time draws near when we need a replacement reference book for Peterson (even in the 3rd edition).

Ed,

Stop trying to tempt me :cheeky:

I might give in :speechless1:

Paul

• 1 year later...

Showa Enthronement Medal ("Hirohito Banzai Medal")

This medal commemorates the enthromenent of Showa emperor (know to Europeans as Hirohito) in 1928, that took place in the ancient capital of Kyoto. It was awarded to those who participated in enthronement acts in the same way as the earlier Taisho enthronement medal.

Imperial Edict No. 188 of 1 August 1928 established the award. The medal is 30 mm. in diameter and made of silver. The obverse has a gilt chrysanthemum crest attached to the center of ghe Imperial throne. At each side there is a Chinese cloud symbolizing good fortune. Below there are the "Banzai!" characters. Around the edge there are blossoms of cherry and mandarine oranges. Reverse shows a vertical banner with the inscription "Grand Enthronement Commemorative medal" and the characters "Showa 3rd year 11th month" below. Different dies were used, as some medals have a deeper relief than others. Medal is suspended by a swivel grip and ring.

Ribbon is 36 mm. watered silk with five purple, white, red, yellow and green stripes. Case is of purple cardboard with a gilt inscription.

CO Xavier Berdaguer

Edited by Taz

• 6 months later...

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the reference. Wish I could find what I was looking for as they were a bit more specific. Really hate it when you're looking for something and can't find it again. :banger:

I do have another one coming that appears to have gilt applied to it, so that will be interesting.

Tim

Shining :cheers:

Peterson also refers to an "M" mint mark on early Rising Sun badges, but explains no further. I was under the impression that the Osaka Mint was the only true mint, so "maker's mark" is probably a better term here. But it's still a mystery why they would use Latin letters.

Peterson also refers to an "M" mint mark on early Rising Sun badges, but explains no further. I was under the impression that the Osaka Mint was the only true mint, so "maker's mark" is probably a better term here. But it's still a mystery why they would use Latin letters.

They probably used Latin letters back then for the same reason they do today...It's "cool." Foreign and exotic = prestige and exclusivity. I guess...

They probably used Latin letters back then for the same reason they do today...It's "cool." Foreign and exotic = prestige and exclusivity. I guess...

I've got a sacred treasure 6th I think, with a mintmark that looks exactly like a " t "

I posted pictures on here somewhere...lemme look.

Cheers

JC

Found it...

it's an older 5th class....

somebody has gotta know somethin????

Cheers

JC

Yep, that's the katakana "HI" (pronounced "he") mark. And on the back of some of the Red Cross knobs you'll find "I" イ, "SU" ス, "KA" カ and more I'm sure. The 4th class sacred treasure I'm selling now has the "BI" 美 kanji on the back. I simply don't have the free time to research this... Someone knows though. Some old cat that's been at the Japan Mint for 50+ years... Someone like that must know.

Yep, that's the katakana "HI" (pronounced "he") mark. And on the back of some of the Red Cross knobs you'll find "I" イ, "SU" ス, "KA" カ and more I'm sure. The 4th class sacred treasure I'm selling now has the "BI" 美 kanji on the back. I simply don't have the free time to research this... Someone knows though. Some old cat that's been at the Japan Mint for 50+ years... Someone like that must know.

Peterson refers to these as makers marks, however I suspect some of them might be control marks within the Mint. I will try to unravel this as part of the work I intend doing for my next book which will be on Japanese awards and medals. However part of the problem is that most of the records were destroyed in the bombing during WWII.

Peterson refers to these as makers marks, however I suspect some of them might be control marks within the Mint. I will try to unravel this as part of the work I intend doing for my next book which will be on Japanese awards and medals. However part of the problem is that most of the records were destroyed in the bombing during WWII.

Paul,

I'm sure you already plan on putting this in your book, but just in case... The numbering system people need to know about...

1,一,壱, (there's 2 more for "1", but I can't get my computer to bring it up) 

2,二,弐,(there's 2 more for "2" also)

3,三, 参, (there's another for "3" also)

4, 四, (there's another for "4" also)

5,五,伍

6, 六, (there's another for 6 also)

10, 十, 壱〇,壱拾, 拾

20,二十, 廿,弐十

This list is far from complete....

John,

I'm just seeing square boxes behind the roman numerals; I assume I need to download some Japanese fonts or something??

I have several awards with different marks; ranging from the "HI" to "BI" to "M"; "M" which I thought was attributed to the Osaka mint. This "N or Z" is the first I seen on any of my pieces. Latest one was a small "M" on a very nice matching Meiji era 4th Class Rising Sun!! :love:

Tim

John,

I'm just seeing square boxes behind the roman numerals; I assume I need to download some Japanese fonts or something??

I have several awards with different marks; ranging from the "HI" to "BI" to "M"; "M" which I thought was attributed to the Osaka mint. This "N or Z" is the first I seen on any of my pieces. Latest one was a small "M" on a very nice matching Meiji era 4th Class Rising Sun!! :love:

Tim

I can't imagine how many medals went through my hands that were marked without me knowing it... I guess it was a problem of being dazzled by them, but not sititng down and closely inspecting... I just had to relist the "S" stamped medal on eBay. The high bidder won 19 items before they decided they couldn't pay for them :violent: (high bidder who welched) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=120396546982

Well, honestly the marks don't appear to be in such high regard as they are in German items, probably because we don't know enough about them, what or who they represent and any significance to different makers.

Maybe one day this mark or that will command higher prices or be more desirable for one reason or another. Right now, I'm glad we don't put any significance on these as demand and resultant prices would ruin the hobby as it did on the other side of the fence.

They are still relatively cheap compared to German WWII items and for that I am extremely grateful!

:beer: Tim

Edited by Tim B

John,

Tim

Upon closer inspection I see what I thought read "BI" actually reads "HEI." The same character is used in ZOUHEIKYOKU (The Japan Mint). Didn't notice it until I took a photo of it and posted it. I hope I didn't mislead anyone... :speechless: I started a topic just for hallmarks and markings on Japanese medals and badges. If you got 'em, post 'em!

Edited by Gunjinantiques

If you guys like marks, you'd LOVE Japanese rifles (if you don't already! ;) ) - especially the early ones like model 30 and 38 Arisakas. I truly enjoy documenting the various marks and stamps I find on rifles. I am guilty of NOT examining my medals however, I'll have to try and take some time this weekend and check them out, granted my collection is small. If I find anything "good" I'll try to get some pics.!

I just had to relist the "S" stamped medal on eBay. The high bidder won 19 items before they decided they couldn't pay for them :violent: (high bidder who welched) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=120396546982

Wait, are you saying the guy who backed down is the same guy bidding on the relist?? man, that'd make me mad, especially if I had been the second highest bidder!!