News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

German MEdal bar with Turkish awards

sambolini

Hi,

I had already posted this thread at the Imperial German section, but it was suggested I post it here as what I thought really interesting is the Turkish Life Saving medal in last place. I've read that it was for rescue at sea and the number of rescues was indicated by the ribbon color, green in this instance, meaning two rescues. I've also read that this was a somewhat rare award, but I don't know as my interest mainly lay with Imperial German. The Rescue medal and blue backing lead me to believe this may have been a junior naval officer ( the Wurttemburg Friedrichs order Knight 2nd class was given to leutnante and oberleutnante). This group also has an unusual Gallipoli Star with seven stones in the crescent. It was on D.N.'s update Friday. Any insight is appreciated.

Sam K.

Edited by sambolini

Hi,

I had already posted this thread at the Imperial German section, but it was suggested I post it here as what I thought really interesting is the Turkish Life Saving medal in last place. I've read that it was for rescue at sea and the number of rescues was indicated by the ribbon color, green in this instance, meaning two rescues. I've also read that this was a somewhat rare award, but I don't know as my interest mainly lay with Imperial German. The Rescue medal and blue backing lead me to believe this may have been a junior naval officer ( the Wurttemburg Friedrichs order Knight 2nd class was given to leutnante and oberleutnante). This group also has an unusual Gallipoli Star with seven stones in the crescent. It was on D.N.'s update Friday. Any insight is appreciated.

Sam K.

A most interesting group. The green riband allegedly denotes two rescues, however that is the only coloured riband I have ever seen for the medal. The other Turkish Medal is the Liyakat medal with AH 1332 (1914) clasp. The clasp on the riband I cannot identify as the image is not clear enough. The life saving medal on its own is worth about ?200 so a nice group. Any chance of an image of the unusual AH 1333 War Medal (incorrectly called the Gallipoli Star.

Paul

Hi Paul,

This is the best pic I can get of the Star. It has seven red stones embedded in the crescent. I wonder if the number seven had some meaning to the fellow?

Regards,

Sam

Dear Sam,

It appears to be the standard German issue (usually either B B & Co or .925 stamped on reverse) the exception being the addition of the seven ruby like stones. Thank you for showing it to me most interesting.

Paul