News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Imperial Germany-Finnish medal bar

Here is something new that I got today by post and wanted to share with anothers.

Imperial Germany-Finnish medal bar with two Finnish Liberation war medals:

1. Commemorative Medal of the War of Liberation (Vapaussodan Muistomitali)

2. Cross of Liberty, Medal of Liberty, 1st Class, (1. Luokan Vapaudenmitali),

some brave man, who fought in Finland, got it probably:

0247911167917a_l.jpg

024791292395a3_l.jpg

Guest Rick Research

Aha! 1918 Swedish made 1918 War of Independence Medal there on the end, hallmarked by Sporrong of Stockholm:

Now it looks as if you've also got an original-issue 1918 Sporrong Medal of Liberty 1st Class too. It will bear the same "S. & Co." and crowned Vasa-girl Stockholm marks, if so, but also the Swedish DATE hallmark for silver.

IF so, it'll look like this,

with "Q7" indicating manufacture in 1918. The hexagon "S" off to the right is for silver. If you've got other hallmarks, it was made later in Finland, but they used letter/number for year date hallmark too.

There were 5,237 of these military Medals of Liberty 1st Class 1918.

Thanks Rick for information!

Its look like bouth Finnish awards what I have on this medal bar, had made in Sweden! Really lovely bar! One of my favorite what I have at the moment! :jumping:

• 4 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...

No, JB27 was formed from Finnish - this bar has belonged to some German in v.d. Goltz's Baltic Division, which came to Finland to help white Finns in 1918.

Jani

This medal bar could have come from the one of the German Units that came to Finland, or from one of the 27th Jaegers, who also could have got the 2 german medals. I find it interesting that there are no other german medals.

Mart

Guest Rick Research

No. It's a GERMAN medal bar. The precedence is German awards first, foreign Finnish ones last. It is not a style of mounting ever worn by Finns. Also, this fellow was a career noncommissioned or petty officer-- the wartime volunteer/defector Finnish J?gers did not qualify for the Prussian/Reichs long service awards.