News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Baden/Prussian 6 place old style bar

This is another bar I picked up in Germany. It is a 6 place bar for, I assume, a Baden officer or official. The ribbons are:

1. Baden KVK (war aid)

2. Baden Lion

3. Prussian Red Eagle Order

4. Prussian Crown

5. Prussian Long Service

6. Austrian Iron Crown

The confusing things is the lack of the centennial and/or 1870/71 campaign ribbon. When did the officer start his career? He was in during the war but was he out before 1897 and did not get a centennial. Maybe he started his career is shortly after 1872 got out before 1897 and came back in during the war 1914 war. I looked at all the Baden regiments and XIV armee korps in the 1913 and 1895 Prussian ranklists and no match. Suggestions?

Edited by Paul C

Hmm, apparently a military because of his Prussian Long Service Cross, but ... hmm ... it makes me wonder.

A Baden/Prussian officer, not in service in 1897 and neither in 1902 (lack of Baden jubilee medal!), with a exceptional career, all these pre war awards and no military service in WWI, but though a Baden war merit cross - possible?! Hmm ... or he served from about 1872 to 1896, reactivated in any job for WWI to get his Merit Cross ... ?

Guest Rick Research

Maybe this officer/official decided to leave off the commemorative medals? Having just come across several ribbon bars which are verifiably traceable but which left things off....

Guest Rick Research

I can't find any match in 1914. I am now leaning towards a Baden civil servant back in some sort of wartime military uniform... the Prussian long service being an LD2 or LD1 (so no 1897) and him aD-- not in any 1914 dR or dL XIVth Army Corps place I could find. But then what level would he have been NOT to get the Baden 1902 jubilee, and yet have 3 or 4 peacetime Orders by 1914?

I say 3 or 4, but perhaps 1 or more of these is a wartime civilian award and we are trying to match ALL of them when LESS than all of them is staring back up at us from some 90+ year old pages.

So many variables with just ribbons. Is it a Prussian Crown 3rd Calss or a 4th Class? Or is that a W?rttemberg Friedrich Order? :banger: