News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

STAINED GLASS WORLD WAR ONE MEMORIAL WINDOW

Hallo Gents, :beer:

Now heres one you dont see every day!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/STAINED-GLASS-WORLD-WA...1QQcmdZViewItem

WWI Memorial Stained Glass Window.

This WWI stained glass Memorial window was discovered on Vancouver Island BC . Now offered for sale worldwide to be appreciated and displayed in memory of the immense sacrifice made in 1917 at the battle of Passchendaele, west Flanders, Belgium. Sometime called, Third Battle of Ypres.The building in the background upper right quarter is a representation of the Cloth Hall built in the thirteenth century. Ypres was in an important position during WWI as it stood in the path of Germanys planned sweep across the rest of Belgium and into France. The mother of one of the lost soldiers at this battlefield commissioned the window to be built in memory of her son.This window is a fine representation of the enormous suffering and loss of life caused by any war.

Approximate measurements and weight are, including frame, 99 inches tall, 34 inches wide and 5.75 inches deep with a weight of 200lbs.

Inside frame measurements are 94 inches tall and 29.5 inches wide.

Approximate shipping measurements are 110 inches long, 40 inches wide and 12 inches deep with a weight of 300lbs

Shipping is to be arranged. Please contact me for a quote or any questions at all.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Guest Rick Research

I am as one with you on this, my Other Twin. :(

"The mother of one of the lost soldiers at this battlefield commissioned the window to be built in memory of her son."

If it's from a municipal building, whoever sold it should be fired and de-pensioned. :mad:

If--even worse--it is from a church...

sorry. I don't care WHAT their "priorities" are... how much they need a new roof, or the absolutely latest state of the art day care computer, or whatever CURRENT cause...

this is EXACTLY the same as a grave marker-- very likely for someone who does not HAVE one.

Looking really cutesy-sparkly next to some yuppie's home video games in the rumpus room just makes me want to barf.

THIS IS WHY NOTHING SHOULD BE DONATED EVER EVER EVER TO ANY "PERMANENT PUBLIC ENTITY."

Easy there guys. :shame:

I didn't see where this actually came from, was it from a "municipal building"? It has been my experience that Canadian municipalites are quite sensitive to what we owe our soldiers past and present. I also can not believe it came from a church unless it was one with such a small congregation that it was forced to close. Even then I would expect that they would have made sure this had a new home. Could it be that it was commissioned and never donated by the soldier's mother.

One last note on my rant.

Before you start to talk about fireing and de-pensioning some public servant just remember that it is the politicions who make such decisions and NOT municipal employees. :angry:

Politicians are like seagulls, they flock in every so often, squawk a lot and crap all over everything and then fly off leaving someone else to clean up.

On a more positive note lets hope that some group (even a municipality) sees this auction, purchases the window and provides it with a respectable home.

Respectfully

Brian

Hi Colin,

Good eye. After I posted my "rant" I took another look at the photo and it does look like a glass studio. My wife and I are involved in stained glass work similar to the pieces to the left of the large one that is for sale. Our studio is not as large but we do go to larger studios for our glass and supplies. The computer "games" could be a computer design program like "Glass Eye" that we use.

If this is a glass studio it could be that the commissioned window was never fully paid for in the first place. Bad business practices but it happens. If this is the case then the artist has every right to sell his (or her) work in the market place.

If this is the work of the seller then we are looking at a true masterpiece.

Let's hope it will end up in a place of reverence.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Often glass panel artists will buy antique panels for re-sale or repair then re-sell too, don't know, but indeed t'is a fine piece of glass work one way or the other.

C

Hi Colin,

It's funny but our "glass" forums never get into military issues. :lol::off topic::lol:

You are correct though.

:cheers: Cheers

Brian

Edited by Brian Wolfe

Well another point about the possibility of this panel being available is that many churches are being sold off for developers to convert to flats/units/apartments whatever your particular country calls them, maybe they saved this particular panel from oblivion, we would like it in our house maybe but the majority would'nt. Could always E-mail them and ask it's history

C