News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello ,

Has anyone read the new book " U-BOOTE CREWS " by Jean Delize yet ? I just got my copy today and I had high hopes for it , but Gordon's Torpedo Los blows this book out of the water ! Some nice pictures , but many of the u-boat badges look bad to me ! This book has lots of B/W and color pictures of u-boat crews and their uniforms and badges etc . Most of the pictures I have seen before , I see many error's but still an interesting book to look at :rolleyes: .

best Regards,

Joe

Hello ,

Has anyone read the new book " U-BOOTE CREWS " by Jean Delize yet ? I just got my copy today

best Regards,

Joe

Mine's on order and hopefully will arrive next week Joe. I know Gordon's book won't compare to this one and it's unlikely that Gordon's book will be matched for many years to come but I was hoping that "U-BOOTE CREWS" might have some other interesting photos, etc. Sounds like I'm going to be disappointed.

Richard

Mine's on order and hopefully will arrive next week Joe. I know Gordon's book won't compare to this one and it's unlikely that Gordon's book will be matched for many years to come but I was hoping that "U-BOOTE CREWS" might have some other interesting photos, etc. Sounds like I'm going to be disappointed.

Richard

Hello ,

I do not want to dash any hopes here ! One of my main area's of collecting are books about German U-boats , I have approx. 950 books dating from 1914 to today . With such a large book collection I have seen many of the pictures already . There are some very interesting pictures though ! There is a picture I would like Gordon to see , in one picture it looks like some u-boat men are wearing a cloth version of the u-boat badg ? It is a nice book , but it cannot compair at all to Torpedo los !

Best Regards,

Joe

Joe, I wrote the last message less than an hour ago and the postman just delivered the book. After a quick look through, I think it's a book worth the price I payed for it. It's much like most of the "h&c" picture books, a good general interest book with nice photos. My library, not being as extensive as yours, results in there being quite a few pictures I haven't seen before (or at least can't remember).

Overall, not a disappointment.

Richard

Joe, I wrote the last message less than an hour ago and the postman just delivered the book. After a quick look through, I think it's a book worth the price I payed for it. It's much like most of the "h&c" picture books, a good general interest book with nice photos. My library, not being as extensive as yours, results in there being quite a few pictures I haven't seen before (or at least can't remember).

Overall, not a disappointment.

Richard

Hello Richard,

That was my first impression when I cracked this book open , it looked just like all the other " H&C " books ! What do you think of some of the badges shown in this book ? To me many look like repro's ! I was hoping for more training pictures such as new shots of men wearing a dr?ger tauchretter , but they used one picture that is used in at least a dozen other boks :-( .

There are some new and very good pictures too ! I like the picture of the u-boat toilet , you do not see many views of this much needed item ;-) I also liked the picture of the man on the trolley with a hydrometer testing the batteries .

Best Regards,

Joe

Hello Joe. I agree that those to pictures are good ones, especially the toilet. I got a chuckle out of that one. I agree that it would have been nice to see more training pictures. I recently saw some in a photo album that was for sale. There are lots of nice new photos around judging from the albums that are being taken apart and the photos sold individually on e-bay. Maybe some will find homes that will share them.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my copy this morning. Many of the photos I'd seen before but some interesting new ones and I'd agree with Joe that one of the photos almost certainly shows the cloth version of the badge being worn. Very nice shot.

The U-Boat War Badges are OK, as are the Clasps, its just that the photos don't do them any real justice. Close examination of the silver clasp shows lots of these little pinhead bubbles common on originals of these clasps.

The cap insignia on Page 14 is a real horror though and the cloth embroidered U-Boat Badge on P75 looks a bit dodgy, possibly a real one that has been de-nazified and the crudely restored with a hand stitched swastika. I wouldn't trust the woven version on P123, too controversial.

Overall though not a bad book for its price and some very nice photos.

Hello Richard,

That was my first impression when I cracked this book open , it looked just like all the other " H&C " books ! What do you think of some of the badges shown in this book ? To me many look like repro's ! I was hoping for more training pictures such as new shots of men wearing a dr?ger tauchretter , but they used one picture that is used in at least a dozen other boks :-( .

There are some new and very good pictures too ! I like the picture of the u-boat toilet , you do not see many views of this much needed item ;-) I also liked the picture of the man on the trolley with a hydrometer testing the batteries .

Best Regards,

Joe

Joe, a picture just for you.

Richard