News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iraqi Soldier wearing German WWI Iron Cross

Guest IMHF

Iraqi Soldier wearing German Iron Cross

Just wanted to share one of my Iraqi Old Photos on the GMIC, This picture shows the relationship with Germany and Iraq at one time. Iraqi soldier is wearing a WWI Iron Cross

Information I learnd from Friends about my Photo:

The "Jungend" style (ca. 1910) chair suggests that this photo was probably taken in either Germany or Austria, which may be indicative of an award received by an attache posted to Berlin or Wien. He may well have been a Western Front "observer" in WW I, who somehow distinguished himself in the eyes of the Germans.

The only Iraqi I "know" to have received a WWI Iron Cross was Jafar Al Askari who recived it for fighting in the Western Desert before being captured by the British and joining, and then leading Faisal's Arab Army and later receiving a British DSO. He was assassinated in 1936.

When under Ottoman rule, pre-WWI, various officers, including Jafaar, were sent on attachment to German units.

I find it difficult to believe that the Iraqi WW2 1945 Victory was manufactured in Germany as the "ruling" power was Britain. However as the medal was only instituted in 1950 it is possible - do you have any documentary evidence?

Regards,

Owain

Have any history or information post here at the GMIC Fourm.

Thank you

God bless

SSG Luna, Lorenzo

Hallo Iraqi Militaria :cheers:

He also appears to be wearing the Turkish (so called) Gallipoli Star as well on his right breast, indicating more of a Turkish Military connection than Iraqi. A "Iraqi-Arab" member who has service in the forces of the Otterman Empire. :unsure:

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Many individials from the vilayats that were made into Iraq after WWI served in the Ottoman army. A nice photo, but not especially surprising. Arabs were well represented in the Ottoman military. They received awards from their government, the Ottoman Empire, and also awards from their wartime ally Germany.

DISCLAIMER: Do not read my comments as supportive of the popular (in some circles) fraudulent theory that Iraq is an artificial construct. All nations that aren't islands are, after all, artificial. Iraq is no exception.

I get a lot of good intel each time I post something, I love learning so much about my collection:

Thank you

God Bless

SSG Luna, Lorenzo

The back of the picture is very worn, looks like it was glued in a book or on a piece of old black paper.

I have alot of these type of photos I will post them soon.

Thank you

God Bless

SSG Luna, Lorenzo

Guest Rick Research

That is definitely an Otoman tunic. I can't quite tell how many rank stars he has on his German-style shoulder board since it is scuffed there, but it looks like TWO on the far shoulder, which would have made him a Captain (Yuzbashi). It is the simplified tunic from later in the war, so lack of a colored collar for branch of service may not indicate anything, but I suspect this was most common in the infantry.

He also is wearing his Iron Cross backwards-- but that is something even Germans didn't notice, to judge from how often we see it in their photos! :lol:

Rick

Thank you More and More information is flowing out for my old photo, they say that a picture is 1,000 words.

Thank You

God Bless

SSG Luna, Lorenzo